HRM Problem...Any ideas

Options
TCASMEY
TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
This morning on my walk my HRM went wacko. At times my heart rate was 0 and other times it soared to over 220. It did this several times before the end of my walk. I have no idea why this happed or what to do about it. Any ideas from members would be helpful. Thanks in advance.:smile:

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Try readjusting the HRM against your chest. Also try to moisten your skin or the part of the chest strap that contacts the skin so that it makes better contact.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'd say moisten those contacts. Sometimes just water will do it, other times it may take more of a lubricant (lotion, gel, etc).
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    The darn thing worked great through most of the hour I was out walking and running but then it just went crazy. :grumble: I thought maybe some type of electrical interference but it is still doing weird things. I just put new batteries in the chest strap last week. Just sitting here it has gone from 0- 230 -166 -233. Its crazy. And it is making me a little mad because the thing is less than a month old.:mad:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM is it?
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT
  • singfree
    Options
    I have the same kind. If it is doing anything "odd", it is usually at the point of skin contact. Adjust or moisten, does the trick every time. I know people who have the same problems no matter what type of HRM they own. It seems to be a common problem/
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT

Mine did the same thing to me one day last week. I have the exact same one. I put water on my skin and on the sensors and put it back on. I also positioned it a little lower than I had usually had it. I haven't had a problem with it since. Oh and I tightened the straps.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, the strap reads the electrical impulses given off by the heart, so sometimes somethings can get in the way, could be anything, the best way to avoid it is to make sure the strap is moist, also to work up a sweat when working out, that'll keep it moist.:wink:
  • singfree
    Options
    I just googled the HRM problem and there are many people who have the same problems. One solution is to buy an electrode cream. Some people recommend "Buh Bump Cream". Amazon sells it for under $3.
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my polar F6. I called the company and they told me to wash it was warm water and soap after each use!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    I just googled the HRM problem and there are many people who have the same problems. One solution is to buy an electrode cream. Some people recommend "Buh Bump Cream". Amazon sells it for under $3.

i had the same problem and was told to use this bump cream. a cardio nurse said k-y jelly is the same thing and cheaper. it didn't work for mine. it was just the chest strap adjustment. i know with mine while running it can go wacko cause of the bouncing boobies. had to make it real tight.
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Is your HRM still acting up on you?
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Sorry I took so long to respond I have been in the car driving to in-laws. It has been working fine since that one episode. I am not sure what was going on but now I know what to try if it ever happens again.

:flowerforyou: Thanks!:flowerforyou: