Underactive Thyroid & Weight Loss

Options
Hi Everyone!

I have only recently started taking my condition seriously (think I was in denial for a long time and hoped the weight would fall off on it's own after being given thyroid medication!...Stupid I know...) Some weight did come off though and I went from over 13st to 11st 7lbs and seemed to maintain this without much effort for 2 years. It has now started creeping up again and it has all become very real, that no one else is going to do it for me and there's no magic food/pill that will make it all go away.

I want to get back to my pre-thyroid size 10-12 and 9.5 stone self. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin at the moment (weighing 12st 2lbs) and want to get my life back. I have an amazing boyfriend and an awesome year lined up so I really need to do this for myself. I also want to be fit and healthy to maybe have some babies in a few years?! :smile:

Anyway, i'm hoping to make lots of friends on here so we can all cheer eachother along and give any tips or pearls of wisdom!

If you want to add me please send a message! I'd like to hear other thyroid related stories and hear how everyone else is getting on.

K

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this! I think many of us were initially in the same boat - thinking the magic thyroid hormone pill was going to help us lose weight. Unfortunately, you're right in that the only way to really make a difference is for each of us to work hard. I'm glad there's a group of us on here to commiserate - it does make it easier when others understand!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    My thyroid, since I've been medicated, hasn't had affected my weight loss. I've gained and lost weight like "normal".
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Is your thyroid level well regulated? Mine requires frequent adjustment (last year I think my dosage changed 4 times). The last adjustment (increase) was after my annual physical when I shared my MFP experience with my MD--months of 1200-1500 calories, regular exercise, etc., and maybe a pound lost every 2 months. She looked at my last test and that it was just barely within the "normal" range, and increased the dosage. It's been 6 weeks and it's definitely helping--lost 2 pounds!

In any event, good luck! And the great thing about MFP is that honest tracking can be a great way to help point to whether you're cheating or if maybe your levels are out of whack again.
  • RedKH
    RedKH Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi All, thank you for your posts!

@ Geekymom57 - I have been lucky really with my medication. My doctors tested me in 2006 after I got to my whits end and just sat in the surgery crying at her! They started me on 50mcg Levothyroxine then after 3 months put me on 100mcg. I have remained at a steady level on 100mcg and they have never altered my dosage.

I'm due another blood test after my holiday in July but after nearly 6 years i'm sure there wont be much of a difference. I haven't ever asked how my levels compare to the 'normal' range though...it would be interesting to know if i'm on the high or low side of the scale?

It's great that they increased your dose and it's helping you :-) keep at it!!
    Yes, recording everything should help me in the long run! xKx
  • RedKH
    Options
    Hi :smile:

Any more potential Thyroid pals joined the site today?..........
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi there RedKH
    There is a group of us here, it is good to be able to share our experiences.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My thyroid story is a little different. It was inevitable that I would get the issue as every female on the maternal side of my family, as well as my paternal grandmother had hypoactive thyroid issues. My levels always hovered around 3.0 (which is typically the high end of the acceptable range). I actually lost weight while I was in the high end of the acceptable range (around 50 lbs) without medication, but using this website, counting calories and working out. Then I got pregnant, and my numbers drastically changed I went from around 3.0 to 5.5, which is definitely outside of the okay range (sloooooooow). So I had to start medication. My numbers now are around 1.7 while I'm taking 50mcg levothyroxine. I was at 2.7 also, which most doctors wont change your med levels on, so it's still within the good range. I have to get my blood work done right now about every 2 months since I'm still pregnant and it's vital to me and baby that my thyroid levels are within normal range. They will ultimately change again when I'm am no longer pregnant and my dosage may change at that point.

The one thing I can say affected my levels when they went from 1.7 up to 2.7 and back to 1.7 again, I had been being careless and taking my vitamin at the same time as my levothyroxine which ended up blocking some of my levothyroxine absorbtion and cause my numbers to spike for that period so I made sure to take them hours apart and the numbers leveled down again. I would definitely be wary of your doctors warnings when it comes to mixing other medications with your thyroid meds.

Good luck with your numbers, and never hesitate to ask your physician for copies of your bloodwork or to have them explain them to you, it's your right to know, it's your body!
  • avesoriano
    Options
    Fallow up your thyroid hormones. You should be seeing an endocrinologist. You should be careful
    That tour medications will not push you to a hyperthyroid state
  • RedKH
    Options
    Hi!

@ Samhradh - I have joined the group, thank you for sending the link, it will be very useful to hear others stories and bits of advice :smile:

@Ninyagwa - Over the last couple of years (being with my long term partner) I have wondered how they would treat you whilst pregnant, it's great to read your story and about your levels. I'm due to hear back from my doctor as I need a fresh prescription soon and will need to extend it to cover my summer holiday! I will ask about my levels whilst i'm chatting with them and see how I fair!

@ Avesoriano - I've not heard of being able to see a endocrinologist, I looked at your profile to try find out where you are but couldn't see....are you in the UK? I haven't ever been referred any further than my regular GP's surgery but I haven't had too many problems since being put on the Levothyroxine.....I have just been very lazy until now (sadly) x