Building Muscle

Options
Hi All :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what exercises to do if you don't want to increase your muscle mass? I know that you are supposed to do low reps with weights to lean but not build. You also have to work on your slow twitch muscles instead of the fast twitch because the fast twitch build...?

I have always been athletic and i have always had this problem. I lose 10 lbs. and my jeans get even tighter than they were before. When i work out I kick box, do pilates, elliptical, and do toning exercises. Sometimes I switch it up a bit but those are the base things I do.

Any ideas or things I should change? :)

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    So when you do lift weights you actually bulk up? Is that what you mean?

Go for muscle endurance. Pick a weight that will tire you in 12-15 reps, rest for 30 seconds, repeat.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    google on youtube and you will find all kinds of advice on there. and read mucle magazines for women where there are great routines laid out for you.. above all, an increase in protein is very needed. if you workout to build muscle and do no take in the proper amount of protein then your muscle will most likely not grow.

when im weight training i take in about 150 grams of protein a day if not more..
  • hiiiilolo
    Options
    Yeah, whenever I lift weights I bulk up, which i dont want to do. Even when I elliptical my legs bulk up. I know I will build up muscle mass when i work out, I just didnt know if there was anything i could do so that I dont look like i'm training to be in a strongest woman's competition. lol. I'm trying to slim down and build lean muscle instead of bulking up. :)
  • scmatthews8
    Options
    By building lean muscle both women and men often give the appearance of being bigger. Have you actually measured a before and after? I would check out www.jencomaskeck.com She writes awesome blogs and articles specifically designed for women who are weight training from a female point of view. I think it is worth a shot...
  • hiiiilolo
    Options
    thanks, ill give it a try :)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Myth on the bulk of the OP! If you want to build muscle, aim for 8-10 reps and higher weight. 2-3 sets and if you're not experiencing muscle failure, especially on the last set, go heavier! Recommended moves: Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it takes bodybuilders a year to pack on 6 pounds of muscles and that's with aggressive lifting, tailored diets and supplements. so i think it's safe to assume that most of the things you do arent going to add significant muscle mass.

more than likely what you are noticing when you lift is the muscle you have firming up, not that you are actually adding more muscle mass.

most women find that the more hey lift, the heavier they lift, the slimmer they get..
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The main thing more me (and most people) that builds muscle, is not the training itself. Of course you need that, but the most important thing is food.

I've been lifting for a few years, but the only time I looked like I was bulking up was a) When I didn't watch my diet and b) When I purposefully at 3000+ cals a day to "bulk up" The appearance of muscle bulk (especially in women) is more so fat combined with muscle. If you lose the fat, and maintain your muscle with a good lifting program, such as with heavy weights, lower reps, you do just that, maintain your muscle, giving a leaner and more toned look when you lose the fat.

Example: I was 150lbs prior to MFP, with muscle from lifting experience. My arms/legs were too tights to fit into a lot of my clothes anymore. Along came MFP, I got down to 130lbs, maintained all my muscle through lifting heavy (maybe even gained some?) but the main thing was I lost fat, and all those tight clothes were now loose.

Also, you're not bulking up from the elliptical don't worry :smile: It takes a lot of time and specific training to build muscle and cardio just doesn't cut it. It's most likely a pump from working out, water weight (you tend to hold onto water after a workout) or just fat.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Never been "skinnier" or fitter than when I started lifting heavy.

Don't worry about all the kinetic details of fast/slow twitch etc. Find a good program and do work. I recommend New Rules of lifting for Women but have heard great things about strong lifts too.

Edit: these are programs based on big compound movements like squats and deadlifts with limited use of isolation exercises or machines. this is what you should look for.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bulking only happens if you eat over your daily caloric goal. If you maintain or have a slight deficit, you won't bulk up, but your muscles will get firmer and only slightly bigger. Lifting heavy is definitely a good way to go.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    that is nowhere near true unless they are already at their peak.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    it takes bodybuilders a year to pack on 6 pounds of muscles and that's with aggressive lifting, tailored diets and supplements. so i think it's safe to assume that most of the things you do arent going to add significant muscle mass.

more than likely what you are noticing when you lift is the muscle you have firming up, not that you are actually adding more muscle mass.

most women find that the more hey lift, the heavier they lift, the slimmer they get..

that is nowhere near true unless they are already at their peak.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    Hi All :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what exercises to do if you don't want to increase your muscle mass? I know that you are supposed to do low reps with weights to lean but not build. You also have to work on your slow twitch muscles instead of the fast twitch because the fast twitch build...?

I have always been athletic and i have always had this problem. I lose 10 lbs. and my jeans get even tighter than they were before. When i work out I kick box, do pilates, elliptical, and do toning exercises. Sometimes I switch it up a bit but those are the base things I do.

Any ideas or things I should change? :)
    you shouldnt change anything. you will never get big like a man, just be happy being a strong woman. there arent a lot.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Bodybuilders can do good to put on 25-30lbs of muscle in their first year of training depending on age, genetics, diet, etc. Some can put on more, some less. Then, after their first year, they put on less per year.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Bodybuilders can do good to put on 25-30lbs of muscle in their first year of training depending on age, genetics, diet, etc. Some can put on more, some less. Then, after their first year, they put on less per year.

What about women? I think I've read 12lbs in a year.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Yes, I've heard 1lb a month for women in their first year of training. After that 1/2lb a month.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Yep. A female will do very good to gain 1lb of muscle per month or 12lbs in a year. And this is coming from Lyle McDonald.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    What I stated before is true. My wife is eating at a deficit and not bulking up, but I can see her muscles are getting more defined. Fact and proof, maybe not for everyone, but there you have it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Building muscle on calorie deficit is very difficult if not impossible for people who aren't very overweight to begin with. And if you're already athletic, then muscle ain't going to come easy unless your nutrition is in surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Building muscle on calorie deficit is very difficult if not impossible for people who are very overweight to begin with. And if you're already athletic, then muscle ain't going to come easy unless your nutrition is in surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I thought those were the people who had more of a shot at losing fat and gaining muscle?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html