Alcohol a no no?

Options
Hi Guys,

Brendan here from Ireland. Currently trying to loose approximately 9 - 10kg. Currently i am at 79.7kg so down 2kg from last week when i weighed myself on the scales for the first time in a while. I am 191cm in height so i don't look over weight but feel i have a tummy so want to loose additional weight.

I find that most of my calorie intake is more than likely coming from unhealthy snacks and then alcohol. Hey not going to use the "i'm irish£ excuse but any success stories from you guys on how you lost weight without giving up on alcohol or have you have you had to?

Brendan

Replies

• Pmadsen04
    Options
    Probably give it up for a few months on a regular basis but I would give yourself one day a week where you can let yourself have a few.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Try using the search feature (just above this thread) to search for lower-calorie alcohol ideas.

It's like anything else. if you want it, find a way to fit it into your calorie goals and/or exercise to create a deficit that you can fill with what you want to eat/drink.
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    Drinking a lot does not help your body. First, the calories are not good for you. Second, alcohol is not good for building muscle, and can actually deter muscle growth.

If you drink a single beer every day, you won't notice a difference. However if you have 4 drinks daily, I know that would make a difference.

I drink 1-2 days a week. Usually 4-6 drinks a day. Obviously, it does not help my body, but I can still make progress with that level of drinking.

I think drinking is more problematic if you are looking to gain muscle as opposed to just looking to cut weight.

If you like to run you could consider a Hash Club?
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello! In my opinion, as long as you log the calories and stay within your daily limit, you should be fine have a few pops now and then.
  • tracyhawk
    tracyhawk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started realizing a large amount of my calories are from alcohol. I am going to quit for a few months and see what happens.
  • bigwill5
    bigwill5 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Interestingly just read an article this morning about how alcohol causes water retention in some people. I would probably reduce use
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Or just reduce what you're drinking now - so if you have 4 pints, make it 2, 2 pints make it 1. And maybe one night completely free. That's what I'm doing with wine. It's a lot of empty calories, so since I'm reducing my food, I have to reduce my drink for balance as well.

Good luck!!!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish!

"Everything in moderation"
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with that too. The biggest help is to actually log the alcohol and see how many calories it actually ads on for the day. Then you'll feel like crap & put down the beer LOL. Seriously though, there are some low calorie drinks but it really stinks, you really can't drink much if you really want to lose.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i consumed vodka occasionally while on the diet phase. it didn't make me eat a bunch of fattening stuff. of course, your mileage may vary. i would avoid sugar-laden liquors if trying to lose weight, however.
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just try to reduce the amount you drink, or drink alcohol that has fewer calories. I heard rum is lower in calories than most drinks. And it tastes great :p
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    My cousin gave up drinking for one month and he lost 10 kg. It may be a tad extreme but seeing as late nights and kebabs go hand in hand with a drink I get it. When I gave up drinking I lost a lot of cms around my waist and belly. You should go tee total for just one month then see what happens! Or if you really like a drink why don't you change the type of drinks. Like swap beer for vodka lime and soda water or something. I was amazed at how much better I feel now I only have a couple of drinks a week.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with that too. The biggest help is to actually log the alcohol and see how many calories it actually ads on for the day. Then you'll feel like crap & put down the beer LOL. Seriously though, there are some low calorie drinks but it really stinks, you really can't drink much if you really want to lose.

yep
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I save up on the alcohol intake for one or two weekend night's a month. Big Jameson drinker. Whiskey has no carbs, and more bang for the punt. I would steer clear of the Guniness, Smithwicks, and Kilkenny. I think the biggest danger in alcohol is that it lowers my ability to say no, to bad food. I hear that there are other "products" out there with zero calories. Just saying.
  • brendanwalls
    Options
    thanks guys a lot of great replies. I really like the idea around building it into my daily intake. I am a wine drinker rather than a beer drinker (never mind that profile picture) so this helps as some wines are quite low in calories.

Wishing you all great luck on your diets too :)
  • SnackPack
    SnackPack Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found this article last week. I managed to stay off the bottle over the weekend :-).
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails
  • MrCook49
    MrCook49 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a pint or two on the weekend, but as a general rule, I try not to drink my calories.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I drink a bit at the weekends, but I also exercise more to balance them out.

I don't usually drink on school nights :drinker:
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I never quit consumption completely, but cut it WAY back and have seen great results! Just keep it in moderation.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't given up alcohol and have lost about 10kgs, and lots of measurements, have prob reduced it a bit, but still have the odd big night and few glases of wine or some beers. I make sure watch other stuff too. I do alot of excersise and seem to be doing well. I decided I was no on a diet but a new way of life I wanted to continue for ever, so felt if i went cold turkey i would porb blow it later. I am alot more mind full of what am doing drinking and find slowly get better and also as see results watch it even more. Yes may have lost the wieght faster but am happy with it still.