thyroid disorders

Options
I was just curious if anyone has any helpful info on dieting with thyroid disease? I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, meaning mine doesn't really work, and it is a very bad case (a normal range for TSH is .3-5, mine was 509.67 when first diagnosed). I was diagnosed in 1998 and have not had much luck trying to lose the 70+ pounds that I gained when it was triggered. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and eat healthy, but so far, not much luck, any ideas?

Replies

• gretchenroberts03
    Options
    I was just curious if anyone has any helpful info on dieting with thyroid disease? I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, meaning mine doesn't really work, and it is a very bad case (a normal range for TSH is .3-5, mine was 509.67 when first diagnosed). I was diagnosed in 1998 and have not had much luck trying to lose the 70+ pounds that I gained when it was triggered. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and eat healthy, but so far, not much luck, any ideas?
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto's. The first thing is to make sure your hormone replacement is working. If your doctor can't balance it, you might need to see an endocrinologist. Make sure your T3 _and_ T4 are being looked at. If they already haven't done an ultrasound on your thyroid, it might be a good idea as it can rule out nastier diseases and conditions. It will be much easier to lose the weight once it is balanced.
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Yes I do know quite a bit about thyroid disease. Radiation knocked out what was already a sluggish thyroid. Know that a TSH above 2 is not optimal. What is yours now? Also, not everyone does well on synthetic hormone though I do just fine on it.

Do you make sure your med is taken on an empty stomach the exact same time of day? No calcium, iron or b-vitamins with it? No walnuts or certain other items either for 4 hours? I don't know how much you know so I won't go into it in case this is just repeat info for you.

Are you familiar with Mary Shomon's books? I don't agree with everythign she says but a lot is true.

Just to make you feel better...most of my weight was put on because of prednisone and then another 10lbs because of the thyroid thing before they caught it (my tsh only went up to 26...yours obviously was life threatening...bless you). I have been using this site for 2 weeks and lost 4 pounds. It can be done.

Feel free to pm me. I am not a doctor or a nurse but do know a little bit to help you find the right answers from the right people.

Best,

Lori
  • gretchenroberts03
    Options
    I had to discontinue my synthroid for a short while and now that I am back on it, I have to have my numbers re-checked, but that isn't for a little while, anyway, but the last time it was checked it was in the 30's. I have to take two pills everyday, because they don't make a pill strong enough for me, I am currently taking 400mcg a day and have not been taking it alone, no one has ever told me this before! I usually take it within a half hour of vitamins and breakfast.

I haven't heard of Mary Shomon, but will google her when I am done here...

My weight gain was triggered by being pregnant, or so I have been told. I only gained 27.5 pounds with my pregnancy and within 3 1/2 weeks of giving birth, I only had 3 pounds to lose. Then I began to get tired, REALLY tired, and gained weight, and within a three month period, I had ballooned over 70 pounds! That sucked. I have never been able to get much off. The best I ever was able to acheive was after my last son was born and I was breast feeding him, eating very healthy, and spending 6-7 days a week at the gym for two hours each session, and I still was unable to get below 200 pounds!

I am trying this to maybe give me extra motivation and keep track of my food intake and exercise.

Thanks for your help!
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    It sounds to me that your meds and system are not balanced properly. It also sounds like you are totally frustrated and have not received proper results for your hard work and I feel your pain there.

Know that most docs don't know how to tell you to take your meds...my oncologist told me to "just take it with breakfast". It wasn't until I did some interenet searching and interviewed 3 endocrinologists did I find the right doctor and the right help. My thyroid is currently monotored every 3 months until he feels the effects of my treatment are over and he can feel safe that it is under control...at that point it will be checked every 6 months.

I don't know how you function with it in the 30's...I was an emotional mess with it higher than 5!

This is the site that helped me find my doc. Perhaps you should investigate a new doc or a second opinion. Docs are human and can be wrong so know that you deserve to feel well and with a "don't take no for an answer" mentality you will get there. I can't promise you'll ever be a skinny thing but I KNOW things can improve.

Here's the site that really helped me:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/index.htm

Keep us posted!