slow cooker chicken

Options
chicaloca6470
chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
i have a whole chicken to make and am looking for a low calorie recipe that also taste good. ive looked up a few online but like to see of anyone on here has a good recipe for one

Replies

• STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Veggies

Cook Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes
    Ingredients:
    4 pound chicken, cut into serving pieces
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
    1 (16-ounce) package baby carrots
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    14-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup light sour cream
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    Preparation:
    Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet and brown chicken, skin side down, until skin is brown.
    In 4-5 quart slow cooker, place potatoes, carrots and onion. Top with chicken. Pour chicken broth over all. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 8-9 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender.

In small bowl, stir together light sour cream, mustard, honey, flour, pepper, and thyme until well blended. Stir into mixture in crockpot and turn heat to high. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. 6 servings
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Veggies

Cook Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes
    Ingredients:
    4 pound chicken, cut into serving pieces
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
    1 (16-ounce) package baby carrots
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    14-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup light sour cream
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    Preparation:
    Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet and brown chicken, skin side down, until skin is brown.
    In 4-5 quart slow cooker, place potatoes, carrots and onion. Top with chicken. Pour chicken broth over all. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 8-9 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender.

In small bowl, stir together light sour cream, mustard, honey, flour, pepper, and thyme until well blended. Stir into mixture in crockpot and turn heat to high. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. 6 servings

mmmm!!!! Sounds super yummy!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I put mine in with 1 cup water, potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.

It would have been a nice roast, but DH came home and added 4 cups of water thinking my chicken soup had dried up! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I roasted a turkey breast today and it is delish!
  • chicaloca6470
    chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    lmao opps! do yuou know about how many calories a serving that has?
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in this?
  • Steebs3
    Steebs3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    this sounds delicious!!!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    *bump bump de bump*

:flowerforyou:
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories, but if you substitute plain yogurt for the sour cream it should turn out just as good, and have a lot fewer calories!:wink: Just an idea:bigsmile: I noticed it seems to have the skin on, and I would rip that right off before browning!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    lmao opps! do yuou know about how many calories a serving that has?

Well, unless I enterred something wrong (because THAT has never happened!:blushing: ), here is the nutritional info I got:
    calories: 633
    Total Fat: 12.3g
    Sat. Fat: 4.4g
    Polyunsat. Fat: 1.5g
    Monounsat Fat: 4.3g
    Cholesterol: 188.6mg
    Sodium: 1011.9mg
    Potassium: 1783.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 47.9g
    Fiber: 4.6g
    Sugars: 12.8g
    Protein: 77.3g
    Vit A: 234%
    Vit C: 67.4%
    Calcium: 12.8%
    Iron: 23.2%
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lisa, What would the calorie count be if you used plain yogurt in place of sour cream, and without skin on the chicken?

4 lbs of chicken and 2 pounds of potatoes sure seems like it should make more than 6 servings to me!
  • lisawest
    Options
    Lisa, What would the calorie count be if you used plain yogurt in place of sour cream, and without skin on the chicken?

4 lbs of chicken and 2 pounds of potatoes sure seems like it should make more than 6 servings to me!

When I calculated the calories (http://recipes.sparkspeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp), I put in 4 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast instead of the chicken. When I changed it low fat yogurt, the numbers come out like this:
    Cal: 605.2
    Total Fat: 2.1g
    Sat Fat: 2.1g
    Polyun: 1.5g
    Monoun: 4.4g
    Cholesterol: 177.7mg
    Sodium: 1007.9mg
    Potassium: 1912mg
    Total Carbs: 48.1g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.6g
    Sugars 13g
    Protein: 76.8g
    Vit A: 229.1%
    Vit C: 70.4%
    Calcium: 15.6%
    Iron 23.7%
  • lisawest
    Options

I also ran it with 12 servings (about 5 oz of meat, and just over 2 oz of potatoes), and it pretty much cut everything in half (duh). But I did notice that I had a typo with the Total Fat. It should be 9.6g.
  • brwnsgr
    Options
    bump