Recovery and Protein Shakes for Women - Any Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• bluefairy1
    bluefairy1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Vega, last year my friend and I used the Vega Sport and it was an amazing recovery. We call it our magic powder, trained to do a 220km bike ride using this and felt little to no pain or fatigue during or after our ride!
  • makethisworkout
    Options
    shakes are for those juicing - for those who arent, regular good clean food is more desirable - the super fast absorption of whey for example means your body cant utilise it fast enough (unless you're on the juice) so you'll likely store it as fat - not recommended over food
    Makethisworkout
    BSc (Hons) Exercise Physiology
  • bluefairy1
    bluefairy1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    new to this site and still learning how to post!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I like GNCs protein isolate. Its affordable, low fat, no carbs, and has 30 grams of protein per scoop. Strawberry is my favorite flavor. :D

It doesn't matter wither your male or female. You can use the same protein supplements.
  • FitnActiveMom
    Options
    May I ask why if you are doing P90x, are you not doing the recommended recovery drink and Shakeology with the program?
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use UNJURY protein powder which you purchase online. Our surgeons recommend it to their patients for healing, and I know many WLS patients that use it as well. It is medical grade protein...the best for you. They have several flavors including a cheese sauce and a chicken soup. I have them all and love each flavor.

Pam
  • Russian1
    Russian1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X a couple of times it works great, for me anyway! It's my first day of P90X2 today.

Anyway - for a recovery drink when I did P90X I used Waxy Maize Maxx by Maxx Essentials - used the orange flavor (that's what my husband liked - tastes like an orange drink!) The instructions said to use 2 scoops in 700 mls (2.45 cups...) water. I would use 1 scoop in about 2 cups of water. 0 sugar contains gluten... I tended to only use it after plyo and the legs & back routine.

For protein I used Ultimate Nutrition Whey sensation 81 in chocolate truffle. YUM! 1 g sugar per scoop. Contains milk & soy. There again I only used one scoop and didn't use it every day. My husband used 2 scoops and after every workout. I tended to get most of my protien from my diet.

Hope this helps. (If this is your first time doing the 'X' one thing I noticed was that in the 3 month I wasn't losing weight at all. I wasn't taking in enough calories - once I ate more, I lost most. You may want to watch for that.) Good luck!
  • rudyalvarez
    Options
    Proto Whey Protien Supplement would be Great for you. A Very High Quality Protien and Great Tasting too. I Love their Protien Bars.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Multiple sources all say that a cup of chocolate milk has the perfect carb-protein-sugar breakdown for post-workout recovery, and it's WAY less expensive than specialized recovery drinks or protein shakes.

http://www.naturalnews.com/029013_chocolate_milk_muscle_recovery.html
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/152240.php
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/organic-foods/organic-manifesto-recovery-drink.php
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    May I ask why if you are doing P90x, are you not doing the recommended recovery drink and Shakeology with the program?

lolz, maybe because ShakeO is overpriced and uses inferior forms of vitamins and minerals and the Recovery drink is also overpriced and not needed for a program such as P90x?
  • snkeller24
    Options

lolz, maybe because ShakeO is overpriced and uses inferior forms of vitamins and minerals and the Recovery drink is also overpriced and not needed for a program such as P90x?

Agree. Just because it's what they sponsor doesn't mean it's the best option for a person.
  • Jrud22
    Jrud22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They seem overpriced, and since I am starting out just wanted to keep it simple until I figure out what is good for me.
  • Jrud22
    Jrud22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you to everyone who provided me with your tips! I really appreciate it, just a little worried now about the gaining weight part if I don't use all my calories but I think with the P90X routine I am probably using them. Also, with the program the first month provides a diet with the following ratio: 50% Prot 30% Carbs and 20% Fat, I am supposed to be at 1210 cal per FP but I edited my cals to have the recommended breakdown and I find myself eating 1500 cals, however I am doing the workouts everyday which earns me the additional 200- 400 cals. Am I at risk of gaining weight bc I am not exercising enough or eating enough or will it have the opposite effect? P90X says I should be eating 2300 calories which is a bit much I think ... can't eat that much and stay within the healthy realm of foods! Also, is it bad that I am using the Gold Std Whey as both my recovery drink and a snack (it seems everyone has a different takes on this)?