Workout Room Flooring????

Options
So I am finally getting my workout room finished and am having a hard time deciding what kind of flooring I want to put in it. Not carpet, since it makes it hard for cardio.

What would you all recommend??

Replies

• Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    We are planning to put that firm cushioned interlocking tile system in. I'm not sure what it's called, but they make it for kids playrooms too... I figure it will really help with the impact from jumping up and down!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    For some reason I bookmarked this months ago, she used some rubber tile.

http://www.krisrzepkowski.com/blog/life/diy-basement-workout-room-step-4-getting-muddy-on-the-rubber-floor.html
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I bought interlocking foam at WalMart (by the exercise equipment). It was $20 for a package of 6....I think the pieces are 2ftx2ft. I have had it for a year and it has held up very well!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    We are planning to put that firm cushioned interlocking tile system in. I'm not sure what it's called, but they make it for kids playrooms too... I figure it will really help with the impact from jumping up and down!

Amber, I just saw this at Sams Club for $21 a box... a box is (8) 2x2 tiles.... cheap, cheap cheap....
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Whatever your sub flooring is will make a big difference in how whatever you put on top feels. I work out in the garage and just have the inexpensive (not dense) foam tiles over the top. As you can imagine that doesn't give a whole lot of spring. Our Taekwondo studio is in an old office building that had carpeted flooring. The school owner just put the high density foam tiles over the top of the carpeted flooring (wood sub floor under that) and it's the best for working out on. So nice and springy! I do jumping jacks at home and find them hard to do but when we recently did them at the studio I found I could go all day! The floor makes a huge difference.

Our school has moved a few times so we've had a few different floors. The laminate over wood sub floor wasn't too bad for spring but it was really cold. Since we work out barefoot it was an issue in the winter. If you're working out in shoes it probably wouldn't matter. The gym we shared a space with had laminate flooring over a cement sub floor and that was awful! Worse than my cement garage floor with foam tiles.

Long Story Short: I like high density foam flooring best but I do most of my workouts barefoot (even cardio at home).
  • Amber82479
    Options

^^^YES!!!
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

AWESOME!!! I think this is exactly what I am looking for!!
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We finished a great workout room and used the interlocking tiles from Lowes. Love it and is simple to install. Started from one end of the room and worked down.
    Good luck and you'll love it. I also put mine underneath my elliptical and treadmill, but didn't need to, but it worked.
  • Ina63
    Ina63 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just did part of my sitting room into a workout room. I put in the interlocking foam type flooring and I love it. I have hard wood floors and it went in so easy, and you can put it under parts of existing furniture ( my couch) with no problem. I can work out on the floor comfortably, and working for a chiropractor I can tell you it is cushioned enough to absorb jumping.
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I want this ! Thanks
  • Amber82479
    Options
    Hey there, just wanted to share what I found online... (Thanks for inspiring me to finally figure out what it'll cost me to do this!)

Sears.com will ship it to store for $13.49/16 square feet (6 tiles per package). Our gym is just over 253 square feet (17'2" x 14'9") and the total cost with our state tax would be just over $232 for all the tile. As soon as my hubby finds his next job, this will be my first purchase!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914315000P?cw=true
  • Amber82479
    Options

Amber, I just saw this at Sams Club for $21 a box... a box is (8) 2x2 tiles.... cheap, cheap cheap....

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! I know where I'll be headed :)
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

This is what I have in my workout room in my basement. Works great!