Altitude Sickness

Options
I'm going skiing in Winter Park, CO next week and I've heard from several friends that they got altitude sickness on their ski trips this winter. Anything I can do to prevent this? I'm in pretty good shape but I live in AR so obviously I'm not acclimated to a high altitude. Thanks!

Replies

• Backpackingmom
    Backpackingmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do to prevent altitude sickness is to drink lots of water. Altitude sickness starts by being dehydrated. So keep a bottle of water with you at all times, drink before going on the slopes and after each run. Hope this helps. Have fun.:happy:
  • Nancypinnell
    Nancypinnell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and watch your alcohol intake. Most people dont realize that Utah ans Colorado are high mountain desserts, dehydration make it harder to adjust to the change in altitude. Always remember to listen to your body.
  • I'd suggest taking a day or two to acclimate when you get there and make sure to drink lots of water to avoid dehydration. Different people have different reactions to altitude so its hard to predict what your reaction will be but generally speaking if you give you body time to adjust you should be OK.

This is a good summary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness#Prevention

Have a great trip!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Thanks for the info! We are only going to be there 4 days, so I don't have much time to acclimate without missing the fun. I'll be sure to drink a lot of water.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Oh, You silly Sea-Levelers! ;D

Definitely drink water! Also, A nap always seemed to help visitors, though that might have been due to travel.

One thing I would keep in mind is that you are not going to get as much oxygen in, so don't exhaust yourself trying to do what you can at your current level. I have seen many a relative try and hike (and fail) because they do not understand the differences between sea level and 6-7,000 ft.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Usually I don't tell this to sea-levelers, but since I'm not going to challenge you to a drinking contest, I'll share it. Your alcohol tolerance is going to be *kitten*. Take it slow if you are planning on having a few, and drink lots and lots of water. Less oxygen.
    And make sure to catch a sunrise. Colorado sunrises are the BEST.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, it's best to drive and acclimate slowly. Flying into a high altitude place sucks since it doesn't give your body the chance to adjust.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Acclimate, nap and water, LOTS of water, are all good advice. A headache, tiredness, dizziness - don't ignore and go drink some more water. Very easy to overdo at altitude. Sunglasses and sunscreen - it may be winter but the sun can be brutal here.
  • mmcorner
    mmcorner Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Avoid tobacco and alcohol... Drink lots of water and eat well
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    All great advice here. Please be sure and drink lots of water before going out as well as during exercise. And remember, if you start feeling very ill be sure to get to a hospital. I know it sounds rather severe but if you do get sick, then the hospital is the best place for you. My husband's cousin was in Colorado Springs and came down with altitude sickness. He needed go to the hospital to recover. My 73 year old dad has never had an issue with the altitude but we have had much younger people come out and really feel it. It seems to make people feel tired more quickly than usual. Just be aware and try to give your body as much time as possible to adjust.

And do take the sunscreen and sunglasses advice seriously. You can't imagine how intense the sun is here!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    All great advice here. Please be sure and drink lots of water before going out as well as during exercise. And remember, if you start feeling very ill be sure to get to a hospital. I know it sounds rather severe but if you do get sick, then the hospital is the best place for you. My husband's cousin was in Colorado Springs and came down with altitude sickness. He needed go to the hospital to recover. My 73 year old dad has never had an issue with the altitude but we have had much younger people come out and really feel it. It seems to make people feel tired more quickly than usual. Just be aware and try to give your body as much time as possible to adjust.

And do take the sunscreen and sunglasses advice seriously. You can't imagine how intense the sun is here!

I remember one of my first trips hiking in Colorado. It was up the Long's Peak trail. Went up about 6 miles from the trailhead, up to about 13,000 feet. Thought I was doing all the right things--long-sleeved shirt, hat, sunglasses, super sunscreen on face.

Still got sunburned in two places--the top of my ears (sticking out of the cap)--which actually blistered--and my calves (I was wearing shorts). Not the thigh, just the calves.
  • lisaz3349
    lisaz3349 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I might see you there. My mom lives in Denver and I am flying out tomorrow. I do the jump from flat to Wisconsin to Denver to the mountains(to board) a lot and the KEY is the WATER. Also stay away from alcohol maybe one glass of wine would be fine. Jug the h20!
  • DLPanther
    DLPanther Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the only way I have really been able to completely avoid altitude sickness when visiting Colorado is to take a day halfway up the mountain before going to the high peaks. Water helps a lot, and I've also heard that avoiding greasy proteins (like ski lodge burgers!) helps. However, if you feel really lousy it might be better just to take some extra time off and go for night skiing if you feel better!
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Fit people get hit too! Infact because fit people expect to be able to perform better they tend to get hit harder by altitude issues as they run arround like they normally would at sea level.

You can't do anything to prevent it apart from spending time acclimatising. As you don't have that time, then take it easier than normal, drink lots of water and stay off the alcohol :)

At 6-7k feet my pulse is raised 15-20 beats per min above sea level when I run. Effort initially does not feel much different but your body is working hard and your stamina may not be as great as your used to.