feeling upset and distressed

Options
Hi guys, I've been trying very hard to lose my weight, I keep my daily calories intake below 1,200 and work out at least 1 hour/day ( mostly yoga), half of the week I'll add around 45min-70min's cardio dance. I thought I could lose weight if I kept doing this way, but I weighed myself tonight, instead of losing pounds, I actually gained more pounds! I feel as If I got smashed immediately, all the efforts just gone vain! I clearly remembered there was a time when I finished 45 min's step and joined a 90mins' yoga class with only around 200 calories' intake beforehand, I feel so feeble and couldn't keep myself straight....anyway I'm really feeling so bad right now.

Replies

• roozombie
    roozombie Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're probably not eating enough. If you want to lose weight, and you're going to workout, you have to feed your body, or you're going to feel horrible. You should, I would suggest, up your calories to net 1200 per diem and then adjust from there if you are or aren't losing. Pay attention to your body's signals: if you're feeling horrible, something is wrong and you're probably robbing your body of the energy it needs.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I agree with roozombie about you possibly not eating enough. If you're feeling faint, you're body is telling you something. Another thing, if you consume a lot of sodium, you'll retain more water. The more water you retain, the more you will weigh. Don't get discouraged, keep up the workouts and remember that the number on a scale isn't who you are and does not define you. Tomorrow is another day :)
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Keep in mind that calories are energy. Depleting them leads to starvation and slower metabolism. Which was probably rushed with the added cardio and yoga. If you workout, then you need to up your calorie intake. If you workout without eating, then you won't lose weight (your body assumes there's famine) and your efforts will indeed "go in vain". Don't be devastated, it's fixable and the best part if you get to eat more. Eat more, you're working out and your body needs it, don't worry about the numbers, worry about what you're putting into your body. Focus on eating foods that are clean (vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean protein). You'll save yourself from hunger and you'll feel focused, energized and you'll be fit.

*OH! and I forgot to add drink your water! You may have dehydrated yourself with the lack of food and increase of exercises; which in turn may have caused water retention.

Good luck.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Agree with roozombie! Although I know a lot of us here on MFP feel like food is our enemy, it is NOT! Choose healthy, balanced foods that will give your body the energy it NEEDS. What did MFP set for your goals? I would use that as a starting point, setting your goal to maybe lose only 1 lb or 1.5 lb a week and work your way down - or up - from there.

Best of luck!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're probably not eating enough. If you want to lose weight, and you're going to workout, you have to feed your body, or you're going to feel horrible. You should, I would suggest, up your calories to net 1200 per diem and then adjust from there if you are or aren't losing. Pay attention to your body's signals: if you're feeling horrible, something is wrong and you're probably robbing your body of the energy it needs.

I totally agree with roozombie...you are most likely not taking in enough calories. You should set your calorie intake to at least 1200, and eat more on the days that you exercise. Don't be distressed or discouraged...you have lost 10 lbs already. Just be patient. Slow and steady wins the race
  • ShaH_01
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. What I would add is maybe specifically try to increase your protein intake. Women often down get enough protein but without it your muscles will not be as healthy. Your muscles will also burn energy when they are healthy so with as much exercise as you are doing you may find your energy expenditure is increased if you feel your muscles with lean meat, eggs etc.

Also remember if you are look at scale weight you will always weigh more at night than in the morning straight after going to the toilet. If you have weighed yourself at different times you may not be seeing a real change. I KNOW I loose 600 g of water overnight - men often loose more than 1 kg overnight. I know this because I used to be involved in a weight class sport and had to really keep my eye on it.

Also if you've been eating salty food your body will hold more water. Complex carbohydrates contain water within their structure. It is not energy or fat - it's good for you but if you eat the same calories in simple sugars you will weigh less even though it's less healthy.

I'd suggest either not watching your weight that closely or swapping to monitoring your body composition. Get a good set of scales that not only measures weight but also body fat % water % etc. You may be suprised by the reality.

Also a key part of any exercise program is recovery. Without it you will feel low on energy, your muscles will fade away as you break them down without allowing them to build up and you'll feel like crap. Try to do more of a variety of exercise from day to day so your yoga muscles can recover while you work your step muscles etc. Also 6 days a week of exercise rather then 7 might be good for you. If you like working out seven days a week then fine but perhaps one session could be active recovery - eg a relaxing walk or swim etc. That would help both your physical and emotional well being.

I know you can do it as long as you don't get disheartened and quit now and as long as your goal is not below your healthy weight. Keep it up :-).
  • sadrina1986
    sadrina1986 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All I wanna say is thank you guys, thank you very much! It was a very dark time, but your encouragement really helps me through this. Thank you!
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    You might consult an actual nutritionist - don't give up on yourself - your health is the single most important thing you have (other than faith and family)

Much love -Jenn

PS- weigh yourself in the mornings instead of at night - you might actually see a difference