Anyone else on here have SVT or other arrhythmias?

Options
I have had SVT for about 15 years, and the episodes became longer and more frequent at the end of 2008, sometimes requiring adenosine. I started Nadolol 40mg in May 2009, and have recently (Christmas Eve) stopped the medication. I originally cut down to 20mg in September 2011 to improve fitness, then when my resting heart rate dropped to 38 in December my doctor said he wanted me to cut them out. So far no major problems but my heart is a bit irritable the last few days!

Keen to connect with anyone else who lives with heart arrhythmias!

Replies

• winslow44238
    Options
    Both my parents have arrhythmias, so I come by mine naturally. I also have a friend with one, and we are hearing more and more about people having them. We both feel more of the floppy or heavy thud feelings when there is higher stress in our lives. Mostly though, our hearts can do thier flip flops without any rhyme or reason and completely without warning. I have to be very careful since it can also cause dizziness and I can fall. We're both trying extra magnesium and potassium and so far it seems to be slowing the instances for both of us. Trying to loose weight with my heart like it is, I am making sure my doctor keeps a close eye on me too. I get exams and blood draws whenever the doc feels a need to check anything.
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have SVT. In 2008 I had an ablation surgery that really helped my episodes. If I had a problem I would take atenolol and that would take care of it. Unfortunately, my doctor could not get all of it because she did not want to get too close to my natural pacemaker. In 2011, I started having more episodes, My dr said that there have been advances in the type of surgery in the past few years. When I had my surgery in 2008, they burned the electrical impulse that was causing the problem. Whatever she burned, was gone. Now she says that they freeze the electrical impulse and that allows them up to 4 minutes to test and see if they got the right impulse. If they go too far or get the wrong one, they just unfreeze that impulse and they can keep going. Hope that makes sense. My plan is just to hang tight until I really have a problem. Maybe they can make bigger improvements before I have to have surgery again! :)
    Take care!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    SVTer here! Take atenolol 50mg and don't have a single problem.
  • richelle67
    Options
    Hi, I just read your post about SVT. I was just diagnosed last Wed. with SVT, after I had my 6th or 7th episode in several years. This one was different from the past ones as I feel like I lost conscienceness and was really out of it and don't remember some of the things I said and did in the beginning of the 2 hr episode. I ended up in a ambulance on the way to the hospital from my doctors office, with a heartbeat of more than 220 beats a min. It felt mild compared to past episodes. My longest episode was 4 hours, shortest pbly 2 hours. I did have a ablation a week ago today, Feb. 2nd, 2012. Well now my heart has been doing a lot of fluttering that makes me panic for a second thinking it is another episode. I didn't have this fluttering daily before the ablation. Did you have this happen too? Also, I feel like someone is sitting on my chest, a tightness? Did you feel this? I was told I could go back to my daily routine, no restrictions after 3-4 days. Well today, I walked on a treadmill for 25 min at 3.0 mph. It felt good to do it. My bruising has spread even higher up and down on my leg and groin area. I am thinking, I may need to take it easy a bit longer? What do you think? Any insight you have for me would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I take 25 mg of Atenolol twice per day for mine, I have no problems as long as I take my meds. Before I was on meds stress made mine much worse, my mom and her mother were both on Propanolol with the same diagnoses.