Scale going berserk

Options
I stepped on the scale today and it said "177", which isn't possible, because I was 179 a few days ago and I know I didn't do well enough to lose that much weight. I stepped on it again and it went down to 174, then again and it went down to 167.8. I kept stepping on it and it went from 167.8 to 181.8 to 184 to 179.6. I don't know how much I weigh! I guess I'd have to buy a new scale right? Which ones do you recommend that are affordable?

(my current scale is a Soehnle type 7329)

Replies

• hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes I would suggest you get a new one... or maybe try to replace the batteries, if its one that you can that is. I have the Weight Watchers digital scale- I do usually step on mine a couple of times until I get the same number twice and use that one... good luck!
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes I would suggest you get a new one... or maybe try to replace the batteries, if its one that you can that is. I have the Weight Watchers digital scale- I do usually step on mine a couple of times until I get the same number twice and use that one... good luck!
    thanks!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I picked up a $30 one, uses AA batteries, shows fat percentage and water weight. I think it's made by Sunbeam. Depressingly accurate, to the ounce! Sodium chloride and its daily effects on my new scale may now become my arch nemesis. :sad:
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I picked up a $30 one, uses AA batteries, shows fat percentage and water weight. I think it's made by Sunbeam. Depressingly accurate, to the ounce! Sodium chloride and its daily effects on my new scale may now become my arch nemesis. :sad:
    haha i'll keep that one in mind!
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale today and it said "177", which isn't possible, because I was 179 a few days ago and I know I didn't do well enough to lose that much weight. I stepped on it again and it went down to 174, then again and it went down to 167.8. I kept stepping on it and it went from 167.8 to 181.8 to 184 to 179.6. I don't know how much I weigh! I guess I'd have to buy a new scale right? Which ones do you recommend that are affordable?

(my current scale is a Soehnle type 7329)

Mine does the same thing. It's a Health-o-Meter HDM585KD-02. I tap it to calibrate it and then step on and I'm 232. Step off, tap, step back on....233. If I step on again it'll bounce just like yours is. :(
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    mine is a Weight Watchers digital scale. i've had it at least 4 years...got it on Amazon. it's unfortunately very accurate! :grumble:
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Where did you get it from? What is the brand? I would love to have a scale like that to keep me in check and honest.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I got a $30 one at Target 3 years that also measures body fat. It hasn't failed me yet!!!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If it needs batteries, replace them. If the scale is sitting on a carpet, GET OFF THE CARPET. If you're on a hard surface and new batteries doesn't fix it (or it doesn't use batteries), toss it and start over. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive, reliable scales at stores like Target, WalMart, etc.