2012 Fun Runs - Your Plan!

Options
Below are the various Fun Runs I am hoping to run in this year.
SOUTH EAST QUEENSLAND
- Resolution Run Sunday 8th January - 5k
- International Womans Day Sunday 11th March - 5k
- Mothers Day Classic Sunday 13th May - 8km
- One Mile Gift Ipswich - TBA
- Qld Half Marathon Doomben Sunday 3rd June - 10km
- Mater Little Miracles TBA - 5km
- Brissie to the Bay (Bike) Sunday 24th June - 25km
- Running 4 Research TBA - 10km
- Gold Coast Airport 30th June - 10km (although my Boxing Gym are trying to get me to do the half marathon!)
- Jetty to Jetty Fun Run TBA - 10km
- Park to Park Ipswich 29th July 2012 - 10km
- Bridge to Brisbane TBA - 10km
- PA Hospital Fun Run TBA - 5km
- Formula Run TBA - 10km

I am aiming for one a month (albeit a slow start due to the Qld summer), so the exact schedule will be better known once the 'TBA' are confirmed.

Running is something I try and avoid, however I know its an integral part of my boxing goals. I figure running in these will make me competitive and inspire me to run midweek in preparation.

So whats your plan of attack?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a half marathon lined up for February along with a leg in a 24 hour relay race (legs are 25-21k long) in May. I have a registration paid for for another HM in May from last year, but unfortunately, like last year it falls the weekend before the relay, which is why I rolled it over to this year. The relay is my priority, so I may drop it to a 10k or sell it or something.
    I am off for my favorite triathlon in June. My other two favorite tris fall on work days so we will have to see how the vacation schedule looks.
    My other must do race is in September, unsure of the distance I will run, I usually do 5k with my work. I doubt I will do anything longer than 10k due to the fact it is the weekend before my wedding and I don't need the added stress of training for a distance race with planning.

The rest of the races all depend on their schedule and mine. Our local running club puts on at least one race a month for most of the year. I go to whatever one I can make.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    My trainers (boxing) are trying to convince me to do a half marathon mid-year........ daunting prospect!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My trainers (boxing) are trying to convince me to do a half marathon mid-year........ daunting prospect!

I see some of your races are already 10ks. Its really not that big of a jump, just a few extra miles in training. Go for it.

I took a women's boxing class at my old old gym. The instructor was a legit boxing coach. I freakin loved it to the point I seriously thought about joining a club but I didn't. Maybe on my to do list in the future, I have a few too many things going on right now.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started the year with a 5K at the stroke of midnight that was very fun.
    I have a half marathon registered in March in New Orleans Louisiana which I expect to be a BLAST. Currently training for that one.. and I'm eying an 8K In February but beyond that nothing else scheduled for this year yet.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    First 5k will be in March, and I'll see how that goes. At least two more of those next year, while I train for my first 10k. My secret goal is a marathon at age 60 (I'm 57 now).
    Well, it used to be a secret...
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    If I can start running in March I am hopeful to be able to make it for my first big race of the year 20k dam to dam. Then will do a 1/2 marathon in MN - the woman's runners one! Also do the des moines full marathon in October!! Probably a few 5k and 10k along the way!