ating back burned calories

Options
Why must you do this. Would it make a difference if you just did not exercise at all? I mean if you have to eat back those calories what is the point of burning them??? I am confused please explain it to me if you know the logic in it cause I am lost.:sad:

Replies

• Liopleurodon
    Options
    Personally I get too hungry if I stick to my calories without exercising and eating some of those back. MFP works a deficit into your calorie allowance so if you don't eat your exercise calories back you could go into an unhealthily large deficit and feel like crap. That's the main reason to eat them.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up with a caloric deficit that is intended to make you lose weight - if you've set it to 'lose 2lb/week' for example, it automatically has your goal at a 1000-calorie deficit. If you exercise, and burn calories that have you eating (net) significantly less than your goal, you need to eat them back (or at least the majority of them) to prevent your body going into survival mode, which is what happens when an adult female regularly consumes less than 1200 cal net/day (the average amount needed by a woman's body to maintain essential bodily functions, around 1700 for men).

If your body is getting too few net calories, it will hang onto any excess weight as protection against what the body physiologically sees as starvation/famine. You will eventually lose weight, but it will be slow, and you can slow your metabolism down in the process - not helpful! There are a lot of threads here about this, and about people who have lost a lot of weight eating more than they previously had done, once their bodies were no longer technically 'starved'.

If you don't exercise at all, you needn't eat back calories burned, but you still shouldn't regularly be eating significantly less than those levels. However, most people here would agree that exercise plus eating differently is the way to success.

Hope that helps!
  • Rayman233
    Rayman233 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up with a caloric deficit that is intended to make you lose weight - if you've set it to 'lose 2lb/week' for example, it automatically has your goal at a 1000-calorie deficit. If you exercise, and burn calories that have you eating (net) significantly less than your goal, you need to eat them back (or at least the majority of them) to prevent your body going into survival mode, which is what happens when an adult female regularly consumes less than 1200 cal net/day (the average amount needed by a woman's body to maintain essential bodily functions, around 1700 for men).

If your body is getting too few net calories, it will hang onto any excess weight as protection against what the body physiologically sees as starvation/famine. You will eventually lose weight, but it will be slow, and you can slow your metabolism down in the process - not helpful! There are a lot of threads here about this, and about people who have lost a lot of weight eating more than they previously had done, once their bodies were no longer technically 'starved'.

If you don't exercise at all, you needn't eat back calories burned, but you still shouldn't regularly be eating significantly less than those levels. However, most people here would agree that exercise plus eating differently is the way to success.

Hope that helps!

Very well put O_C
  • loserforlife
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responeses please help me in this journey by either accepting mine or sending me a friend request and lets loss this together.