Marathon Training - which plan?

Options
I have my first marathon in April this year and started Runner's World 16 week training plan this week however the mileage is significantly reduced in comparison to what I have been doing before the plan. This week I've added some extra runs in but I don't know whether this is a good idea.

I'm curious as to what plans others are using? Do you adapt them?

Replies

• Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well.

I have signed up to a plan through runners world

http://www.runnersworld.com/personaltrainer/plans.html

To increase the intensity you pick the time you'd like to get under and I suggest thats probably the best way to go.

For me its about increasing the intensity and qaulity of the workout not increasing the mileage, but some of thats because I'm older.

They do stipulate that you must rest on rest days which I have always found hard to do as I'm so obsessive.

So in answer to the question I wouldn't adapt them I'd stick to it and make sure you burn the hills and interval stuff.

Hope that helps a bit.

I am doing Edinburgh in May (27th) Good luck

Tim x
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    As a significantly older endurance athlete, I did a lot of reading and research to pick what I should do. One theme that came up was to find a plan that makes sense to you (I love the Galloway method), see where you are already, and go from there. So if the beginning of the plan is slower than you already are, you might want to go to the week that matches, take it from there till you hit the mileage, then go into maintenance mode. Good luck! Running the long race is so much fun!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have my first marathon in April this year and started Runner's World 16 week training plan this week however the mileage is significantly reduced in comparison to what I have been doing before the plan. This week I've added some extra runs in but I don't know whether this is a good idea.

I'm curious as to what plans others are using? Do you adapt them?
    In your case it seems like a case of the plan assuming you're starting with less miles under your belt rather than it not being suitable. I'd skip a few weeks and jump in where the mileage of the long runs meets what you're currently doing and repeat the next four weeks or so of the plan until it suggest an increase.

I'm doing a lightly-tweaked version of Hal Higdon's "Novice Supreme" plan. I only do three runs a week, one of my mid-week runs is intervals to keep my speed up and I cross-train on other days. I add walk breaks to my long run. My running club starts again next week and that will be another quality session.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/novicesupreme.htm
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I view plans as general guides, not absolute law. I take Higdon & modify it to suit me.

Also if the plans starts lower than what you are already doing, just keep your normal schedule, then pick up at whatever week the plan matches your mileage level.
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For my most recent marathon (October 2011) I use the Run Less, Run Faster plan (http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/Marathon Training Program-metric.pdf). It is a great plan if you have a time goal in mind and are willing to put in HARD work for 3 key runs a week.

They also have a plan for novice marathoners (http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/FIRST novice marathon program.pdf)

I really liked the plans because they emphasize 3 key runs (tempo, intervals and long) per week. Beyond that they prescribe 2 cross training work outs or easy runs. And I am a numbers gal so I loved having all the paces and distances set out.

I adapted the plan when my life/body demanded it, I am never a slave to a plan I set out for myself. If I would start to feel burnt out, I would drop the paces or cut some of the distance.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replies.

I think i'm going to skip forward a few weeks after this week's done and go from there. Though I've heard lots about Hal Higdon so may have a look at his plans.

Weather's I've picked the time I want to get under and it just is around half my current weekly mileage which seems crazy. The intensity is increasing and I'm constantly reducing my min/mile pace.

Good luck to you all!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    One more thing I remembered that may help you in determining your workout paces and a goal to shoot for is Mcmillan's running calculator. It takes a recent race time and spits out your paces, assuming proper training. It's not a plan so much as it is a supplement to the plan you are trying to stick to.