So ready to give up!!

Options
I started my weight loss journey in March 2011 at 189. I was at 150 1/2 on December 3rd and now I am up to 152 1/4. I log everything that I eat and workout at least 4 times a week. I just don't understand why I am gaining weight. I have not been over in my calories since sometime in November (I believe) I even increased my calorie intake (three weeks ago) hoping that would shock my system and kick start the weight loss. That didn't happen so I put it back down to 1200.

I am just at my wits end. My goal weight is 135 and it seems as if I am never going to reach it. Any help would be appreciated. Should I stop going to the gym?

Replies

• EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale!! How are you feeling and how are your clothes fitting? I lost 80lbs but have been somewhere close to the same weight for months.....however I am going down in clothe sizes and feel so much better. 5lb of muscle weighs the same as 5lbs of fat.....so are you toning up? Don't give up....you can certainly do this but it does take time!!! It is very hard but with support, you can keep moving forward!!!
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    You've lost 34 Pounds in 6 months.. that is AMAZING!!! We all get stuck sometimes- there could be a myriad of reasons why you've put on a couple of pounds, including excessive sodium during the holidays etc.
    Maybe it's time to set smaller goals-- for example, aim for getting into the 140's and reward yourself with something non-food related. Hang in there, keep working at it. You are SO close!
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I am toning and my clothes are getting bigger on me, but I have always looked at the scale as measuring.
  • WalkWoman
    WalkWoman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You're amazing. 32lbs lost! I am 156Lbs having regained the hard lost 7lbs I lost a year ago. I'm restarting from1st Jan, and, with the help from my MFP pals am determined to lose 25 lbs in 25 weeks. I've been stcuk before then given up and the weight crept back on. Don't quit. You'll only get fatter. Persevere.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    With 32lbs down you need to start looking at the tape and not the scale.
    Pull it out and dust it off every month or so.

Can we have a look at the diary?

One thing I tell all my friends who are losing weight is to reevaluate their dietary numbers every 5-10lbs.

Your BMR, TDEE and body fat all change as you lose.

hit up Fat To Fit Radio tools and do the bodyfat calculator and BMR calc again and see if maybe you should be eating more/less.
  • neverheavyagainconnie
    Options
    I have been the same way can't get smaller than 175. So I bought a heart watch and have been staying in the calories burning zone and out of the musle burning zone. I have been doing it for a week and lost two pounds. You can be working too hard at the gym. Slow down work enough to burn calories not musle!
  • ConnieSG
    Options
    My diary is now public
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I'd up calories to 1400-1600. Up protein significantly.

Google Fat To Fit Radio and do the Military Body Fat Tool and the BMR tool.
    Youll be surprised how much you could eat to lose weight.

Are you carb sensitive?
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Take out a tape measure and see how you do with that for 2 weeks.
    You are doing so well, and have stalled out just like me. I am not looking at the scale but motivating with workout goals and massage for the next 2 weeks to see if I can make any progress. something has gotta give, right?
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The scale is a dangerous thing - I agree with others, use a measuring tape in conjunction with the scale (if you can't give it up) and do measurements once a week or every other week. That will allow you to see changes that the scale won't show you. If your clothes are geting looser, you are doing great! Sometimes, our bodies also need a chance to catch up and get used to a new weight level. Plateaus are really frustrating, I know! Sometimes upping my water intake helps kickstart me back into weight loss - you may want to make sure of that as well, especially if you are hitting the gym a lot. Drink 64 oz no matter what and up that at least by 16 -24 oz if you work out.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • ConnieSG
    Options

Are you carb sensitive?

No I am not carb sensitive. I will look up the Fat to Fit Radio.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Good! Carbs are premium fuel!
    If you need specific macronutrient help send me a PM.
    I can run numbers based on your dietary info to help you along.
    Hugs!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Try some calorie zig zagging too...different calorie amounts daily with it being the same total amount for the whole week...it helped me lose the last 5lbs I needed to after I was stuck for weeks at the same..it takes a little bit for your body to adjust but it works..at least for me it did...
  • rockchalkgrove
    rockchalkgrove Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    NEVER GIVE UP!! I have lost 30 pounds, but it took me 2 years to do it. Taking it off slow is the best thing to do! I see you have lost 34 pounds! That is awesome. If you feel like giving up again, go to the grocery store and try carrying (7) 5# bags of potatoes. I bet you can't do it!! Well you used to carry that weight around with you all the time! You should feel proud of your accomplishments! Don't drop your calories too low either. We all hit a plateau at times, just be strong and proud! Feel free to add me as a friend for support!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I say don't give up. I was down to 162 on December 10th and totally got lazy and here I am at 172...up 10 lbs....all because i ate like there was no tomorrow during the holidays. SMDH! :( If you give up the lbs will creep up and you will certainly regret it. Hang in there...don't give up...
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Maybe watch your sodium intake. Just don't give up... You're ahead than when you started.. You're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes I would definitely watch the sodium....hot dogs, etc.....You can do this!!! It takes time....Rome was not built in a day!!!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Are you carb sensitive?

Yep, this.. this is pretty much what I had to do to get things moving again! The scale doesn't tell all though... judge in other ways as well! :flowerforyou:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice. Don't give up! !!!!

10096292.png Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    So much good advice here. Up your calories to 1400-1600, watch your sodium, eat more protein. In six month you lost crazy weight, but now you need to change out up a little as your body adapts to your new way of living, eating, and being active.