Butternut Squash - the bane of my life. >_>

Options
I love it, don't get me wrong, but what puts me off it preparing it. I can't peel that bad boy to save myself. How do you guys do it?

Replies

• Ashleysh22
    Options
    i often buy frozen butternut squash. i know, kinda lame - but soooo much easier!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I bought a butternut squash once. Epic fail. lol.

I have noticed that you can buy them from the produce section (near the salad mixes) already cut up. May do that the next time I want to cook it.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It's SUCH a pain, isn't it? I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and roast at 350 for about 45 minutes, face down in a half inch of water. Let it cool and scoop out the yummy parts.
    You can also microwave it, which makes the skin separate easier.

It's great to mash it with a little bouillion.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    i often buy frozen butternut squash. i know, kinda lame - but soooo much easier!
    Totally not lame. I can never find it in any grocery store I go to. I would buy it by the truckload if I could!
  • alib510
    alib510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    if you're making it into soup, you don't have to peel it, just remove the seeds and chop it up!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I poke holes in it and put it in the micowave like a baked potato. When soft I split it open to cool the scoop. Or I bake it in the oven, and do the same. It tastes better from the oven, but the micro makes it soooo easy.
  • tjslangille
    Options
    I have a special knife to cut it in half. Then I scoop out the seeds and peel it with a vegetable peeler. It then gets chopped up into chunks and slices along with chopped onion and I bake it in the oven with a bit of water, curry, coriander, and turmeric, salt and pepper. Sometimes I just bake it with the onion and add Parmesan cheese. Yummy!
  • besav11
    Options
    I love squash!! Most of it! I will try the roasting idea thanks!. I NOrmally can just deal with the long part of the squash. I could live off it!!
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ah, I like to roast it in strips, just the skin makes it awkward for me! I guess I can cut it into strips, roast a little, remove the skin when it's soft and roast some more?
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    if you're making it into soup, you don't have to peel it, just remove the seeds and chop it up!
    Huh? I don't get this.
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Huh? I don't get this.

The skin is edible.
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I love butternut squash! You don't need to remove the skin or seeds, just chop it up and roast them all in together. The seeds come out all tasty and crunchy and the skin is nice too. Makes life a lot easier!
  • Raemonda
    Raemonda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    nice sharp knife, cut off a chunk and then use the knife to whip off the skin.....plus i think it counts as some kind of workout cos it does make my arm kill!!
  • therebeccajones
    Options
    I get my boyfriend to cut it for me! ;)
  • gail1101
    gail1101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Forget peeling it. Cut it in half, season, bake in oven at 350 degrees until tender. Scoop out the inside when squash is tender. I usually bake a small piece of chicken at the same time (no sense using the cooktop when the oven is already on). Add a salad w/o dressing (or low fat) and you have a great meal. Hope this helps...try it!!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I slice into discs (like you would a pineapple). Then I slice the skin off that disc and chop squash into chunks. And repeat. Possibly not the quickest method but it works for me!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't peel it either. Just scoop the middle.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Huh? I don't get this.

The skin is edible.
    No. Way. Seriously?
    You learn something new every day.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem, too, but, Veggie peeler! Seriously works wonders. :) Then just chop it how you like it, or, leave it as a whole chunk - whatever floats your boat!
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

Skin is edible, have a google for the Jamie Oliver butternut squash recipie I think he roast it with skin on and everything :)

K x