Butternut Squash - the bane of my life. >_>

Options
2»

Replies

• Lillemeddy
    Options
    I just hand it to my boyfriend and he peels it with a potato-peeler. Cuts it in two, then little squares - and we bake it in the oven. Before him though, I'd buy the frozen cooked squash that is usually next to the spinach in grocery stores. It's yummy, but more baby food looking that anything. Lols.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I buy it already sliced and just put it in oven! .. I'd never tried it before I started this diet and love it... I love sweet potato chips too and I'd never had those before either.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    when I make butternut squash soup I first cut it in big slices and then I will cut the skin off with the sharpest knife I have.
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i use 2 knifes one big ol one to chop in half the half again twice then my sharp little everyday knife to peel :D
  • fisher110
    fisher110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just made the best soup - Butternut Squash! Use a really sharp knife and cut the squash into fourths. (I use 3 squash to make a large pot.) Clean out seeds and bake until soft. While baking, sautee a whole garlic (about 10 sections) and a medium sized onion in low fat butter (about two or three tablespoons). Add 1/2 cup fat free chicken broth. Puree the squash and onion/garlic mixture. Add remaining broth (about 3 cups) to mixture, with 1/2 cup fat free 1/2 and 1/2. Cook on low about an hour. Add pepper (and a little salt or reduced sodium salt) to taste. If you like Butternut Squash, you will love this! So healthy for you and delicious. I put in small containers and froze, so I can pull one out now and then!
  • EmmaDSmith
    Options
    Cut it into sections before peeling it helps! Also, if you bake it just cut it into sections and bake with the skin on. Then just scoop the flech out when you eat it! :)
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    Options
    My girlfriend and I love gourds! We buy all sorts of squash and pumpkins. Last night I made pasta with pumpkin sauce....so good. But I'm always in charge of chopping the butternut squash. We use a vegetable peeler to skin it.

People were right about the skin being edible. When they are baked, the skin gets caramelized a bit and gets really good.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If I'm not making it into soup or roasting it (in both cases I leave the skin on), I use one of these Y peelers to get rid of it - so much easier than trying to use a knife!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Y-Peeler/dp/B00004OCIU

And if you cut it in half lengthways first, you get a good starting point at the edges for the peeler!
    When they are baked, the skin gets caramelized a bit and gets really good.

So true! I love baked squash skin....'tis most nomsome! :tongue:
  • kimodonovan
    kimodonovan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well I cut it up quite regularly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbecyb7TgDE

I use a paring knife to cut off the skin, as my veg pealer is not strong enough
  • katrinasilva
    katrinasilva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in love with butternut squash right now. Here is a recipe I found from whole foods.
    Baked butternut squash and apples

1 sm butternut squash, about 2lbs (peeled, cleaned, cubed). (i justed used my carrot peeler to remove the skin and then sliced it, scooping out the insides).
    2 apples (cored, peeled, cubed) (I used 3 apples, helps add some more natural sweetness)
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1/4 c cold butter or margarine
    1 Tbsp flour
    1Tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 c chopped pecans (I put 1/2 cup)

Place squash and apple cubes in 9x13 baking dish. Blend the remaining ingredients with fork until crumbly. Distribute over squash and apples. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
    Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use a good quality steel blade potato peeler!

GG21081-590.jpg

this one!!

Chop it into 3 or 4 pieces first, then go to work with the peeler, then chop into bite size chunks! Works well for me as I don't have much strength in my hands, but I always make sure my knives are sharp, most dangerous knife in a kitchen is a blunt one!!
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If I'm not making it into soup or roasting it (in both cases I leave the skin on), I use one of these Y peelers to get rid of it - so much easier than trying to use a knife!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Y-Peeler/dp/B00004OCIU

And if you cut it in half lengthways first, you get a good starting point at the edges for the peeler!
    When they are baked, the skin gets caramelized a bit and gets really good.

So true! I love baked squash skin....'tis most nomsome! :tongue:

lol!! Great minds Gok! :D xx
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Forget peeling it. Cut it in half, season, bake in oven at 350 degrees until tender. Scoop out the inside when squash is tender. I usually bake a small piece of chicken at the same time (no sense using the cooktop when the oven is already on). Add a salad w/o dressing (or low fat) and you have a great meal. Hope this helps...try it!!!

This is TOTALLY the way to do it! Don't trouble yourself peeling it before baking. You can also cut into discs and steam or boil on the stove. I've prepared this about 200 times. I add salt to the water.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's SUCH a pain, isn't it? I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and roast at 350 for about 45 minutes, face down in a half inch of water. Let it cool and scoop out the yummy parts.
    You can also microwave it, which makes the skin separate easier.

It's great to mash it with a little bouillion.

This too!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I pick the small ones with straight sides. SO much easier to peel. Get yourself a good vegetable peeler and it's no trouble at all.