No burned calories for Strength Training?

Options
Why does the tracker not calculate calories burned for strength training?

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    add "Cardio - Strength Training"
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too, I just assumed that it didn't burn a lot of calories?
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    strength training is not aerobic which is what MFP uses for calorie burn. Strength build muscles which in turn allows more calorie burn in general, but specifically very little burn at the time since it is not sustained.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too, I just assumed that it didn't burn a lot of calories?

Same here
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on how you do it, too. I breathe hard and sweat hard the whole time when I'm doing my strength training, but I superset everything with pretty much no rests in between (except when my heart is pounding and my lungs are burning and I need a short break). I don't have a heart monitor so I can't confirm this, but I FEEL like I'm getting a better cardio burn from my lifting than from my cardio work. :)
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    "Participants in the study burned as many calories doing 30 minutes of weight training (it doesn't mention what types of exercises or the equipment used) as they did going for a 30-minute run at a lightening fast six-minute-per-mile pace. Since running at that speed for that long is better left for those training for winning marathons, it seems that if you're looking to burn calories, strength training is your best bet.

Aside from burning calories, weight training also makes you stronger and gives your muscles that chiseled look you're after. As if that wasn't enough, strength training also boosts your metabolism, with some exercise physiologists estimating that the body continues to burn calories for up to 36 hours after your workout. "

http://www.fitsugar.com/Weight-Training-Can-Burn-More-Calories-Than-Cardio-8367792

I like the Cardio - Strength Training option!
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    If you are training with moderately heavy weights and taking little rest, i.e. you are sweating and breathing hard, you are definitely burning calories! Keep strength training as it is very important in shaping your body the way you want it to look after you drop pounds. It also adds lean muscle which will allow you to burn more calories throughout the day without doing any extra work! People who skip weight training are cheating themselves in a big way. Just think of the calories you burned as an extra bonus, even if its not counted on here.
  • You have to log it under "cardiovascular" to see the calorie burn. Its titled "Strength Training" under cardio. Then it will calculate calories burned into your plan.
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I log in as circuit training sometimes.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My interpretation was that the Strength Training section is used to rack our activity. Adding it as a Cardio exercise will record it as calories burned. You definitely burn calories in weight training.
  • Tjarvi
    Tjarvi Posts: 53
    Options
    Glad to find this.
  • mommycol
    mommycol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I track it as cardio - strength training. I lift with my trainer twice a week and, typically burn 300 - 400 calories each time. I use my heart rate monitor every time.