The trouble with vintage shopping

Options
So, I want to get a vintage 50s wedding dress. I found the most amazing beautiful and in good condition dress. The problem is that it's tiny. It's got a 25 inch waist. I don't think I could ever be that small. It's something my bone structure won't allow. I wish that it was in mass production right now so I could just say, "No problem, I'll just get the bigger size!" Nope, it's one of a kind. :`(

Happens a lot when I look for vintage clothes. It's even worse with the wedding dresses.

Replies

• anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. The vintage sizes are alot different than current sizes. It the dress was affordable I would try and take to a skilled seemstress. I know that I have purchased vintage and many times have altered to smaller or bigger myself. A skilled seestress should be able to help you out. If you need bigger the dress would be changed somewhat but still maintain the integrity of the style.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My mom & dad married in 1954. I remember talking to her about the styles then, because I love vintage clothes and have a pile of vintage dress patterns. She said it was just that everyone wore girdles then. Few people naturally had 25" or smaller waists. That and what she called "bullet bras" to make your boobs look like torpedoes.

Could you have the dress altered to have a corset-style back? That would give you more (literally!) breathing room.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    what if you find a similar vintage pattern and have the dress made to your measurements? it may be difficult to let out a very old dress, but maybe you could deconstruct it and add use some lace, embellishments etc from it to a custom made dress?
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/75932334/1940s-40s-vintage-dress-organza-metallic?ref=mt

That's a link to it. It doesn't look like I will be able to get it tailored because of the boning and the embroidery. I probably will end up wearing a girdle at my wedding but I'm not willing to go to extremes just to fit a dress. In the grand scheme of things, it's only a dress and it's only a day in my life that involves a fancy party.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. That is gorgeous! :love:
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    beautiful dress!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's beautiful, but definitely meant to be worn with a corset.

I have a corset that takes me in about four inches (still not 25", :laugh: ) but they are out there.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Oh that's gorgeous, and it's actually a 26" waist. A well fitting corset will take a couple of inches off your waist without being particularly uncomfortable, so if you can get down to a 28" waist you're there. :smile:

If you're prepared to get used to wearing a corset beforehand, you can take a whole lot more than that off your waist! :bigsmile:
  • Ohaira
    Ohaira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this thread, but just for future references, this gown could've very easily been altered using a corset back as someone had suggested. What's even better about that, is that the original integrity of the gown would not have to be sacrificed.