Best time to weigh yourself??

Options
sinisme
sinisme Posts: 148 Member
When is the best time to weigh yourself, how often do you weigh yourself, what is the best scale digital or dial??
I am obsessed with my scale, I weigh myself everyday.. at least twice a day. But my scale is the devil and it plays with my emotions because it's never right... it fluctuates not by just 2 or 3lbs.. by 10+ sometimes.. LOL.. anyway, I'm looking for a new on. Recommendations anyone??

Replies

• 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55489

1. Weighing yourself first thing in the morning is usually best. Because of variations in food and fluid consumption, we often "gain" different amounts of weight throughout the day.

2. If you're weighing frequently, remember that daily fluctuations in weight are common. Just because you're heavier today than yesterday doesn't mean your weight control program isn't working. Don't become a slave to the numbers.

3. Monthly variations in weight are also common in menstruating women.

4. "Plateaus" in weight loss aren't necessarily bad. If you're exercising a lot, your weight may remain constant for a time even though you're still decreasing your body fat content and getting healthier.

5. Finally, cues other than the numbers on the scale are equally important. How do you feel? Are your clothes getting looser or tighter? Do you feel stronger, healthier, leaner? Your own perceptions can be the most valuable tools to help you track your weight control progress.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I was weighing myself daily and it was making me crazy. I now only weigh myself weekly!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a month and in the morning before I eat.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Molsongirl-- is that you in your AV? My gosh-- you're stunning!!!!!!!

Hope you're feeling better, sweetie!!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Molsongirl-- is that you in your AV? My gosh-- you're stunning!!!!!!!

Hope you're feeling better, sweetie!!

Thanks Marla, that's me in February at my brothers wedding renewal thingy in the Dominican....I'm doing ok....life is slowly getting back to where it was..with a few little ol' :wink: speed bumps.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. my personal opinion is...don't weigh yourself every day.
    If you weigh yourself right after dinner, of course you'll weigh more bc you have a full tummy. I always weigh myself in the morning before I get into the shower (naked yes lol just so i know what I actually weigh without all the clothes on). We often have different weight gains during the day from fluids and food consumption. BUT I only weigh myself once or twice a week at the most. Try not to worry toooo much about stepping on that scale.

Have you been measuring yourself (waist, hips, thighs, bust, etc)? Try measuring yourself (if you already aren't) and go from there.

I have a digital scale. I'm not sure if one is better than the other, but it's prob easier to have a digital.

Overall, don't weigh yourself every day. There's no need for it. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Try once or twice a week and start measuring yourself (again only once or twice a week).

Good luck with everything! :flowerforyou:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    once a week, first thing in the morning, after potty, and before breakfast! :flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The most important part is being consistent. I weigh in the morning after going to the bathroom, before dressing or eating. But if that's not an option - some use gym scale - than the most important part is to be consistent. About the same time of day, the same kind of clothes, etc. Then you will be able to track lbs lost without variations messing it up. Also, remember if you drink a couple of extra glasses of water that can add up to 2 lbs to your weight before you eliminate them!
  • rumpofsteelskins
    Options
    To All,

Buc Naked to maximize my weight loss! LOL!

Take Care,
    ~Steven
  • abgirl
    abgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    212919.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Weekly seems to work best. Dont get wrapped up in numbers, though. In the past I have has great luck with trying on the same dress every 2 weeks...
  • fairylovrgrl
    Options
    once a week, first thing in the morning, after potty, and before breakfast! :flowerforyou:

This is what I do too! I always do it on Saturday mornings too. :smile:
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'll try to keep myself from getting on that scale daily... its a hard habit that I've been trying to break.
    i remember when i was in high school in powerlifting and trying to make weight.. which was 117lbs... i thought i was fat then.. man if i knew then what i know now!! hahahahahah....
    :laugh:
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like my digital scale because I like to see the losses by the ounce as well as the pound. ;)
    I weigh in Friday morning, naked, after potty.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I weigh myself about 10 times a day (not an exageration...) but I dont worry about the fluctuations, the only number I really worry about is the weigh-in first thing in the morning. the others are just me and my OCD!
  • Kbrain228
    Kbrain228 Posts: 78
    Options
    I use a digital scale and I use it on Monday mornings first thing when I wake up (after I use the bathroom to rid of that extra weight lol) I have a friend that was obsessed with using the scale and she was getting so frustrated from the daily fluctuatios so I told her not to weigh everyday and she would see results and not get overwhelmed by thinking she had gained 3 pounds in one day. It seems to be working so far! Good luck!
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    I weigh myself at least once a day sometimes even 3 or 4 times a day always naked after I potty. I don't let it get to me too much and the only one I really care about is the first morning weigh in. I just can't wait until I'm ok with my weight at even the end of the day!
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    yup, get up, go pee, get naked, step on digital scale, smile or frown. :happy: find a pr of tight shorts, jeans, etc.....try them on once/wk. sometimes this is better than the ol scale :laugh: yes, we are losing wt, and likely gaining lean muscle. many of us are NOW heavier but in smaller sizes! now that is what i call results!
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself in the morning after going potty alas also naked. then i go and workout for a 1/2 hour, have breakfast and then weigh myself and i find that I am usually about 1/2 lb lighter.