Polar FT4 Question

Options
I received a Polar FT4 for Christmas and used it for the first time this morning. During my workout, the watch keep saying "Check Heart Rate Transmitter" and wasnt displaying a HR or counting calories. For the entire workout, it kept losing the signal on the watch. I know the strap was on corrently because the cardio machine I was on was picking up my HR the entire time. Any ideas/suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Replies

• mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Check the battery in the chest strap.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the chest strap before putting it on?
  • jbeau1980
    Options
    mcanavan05 - But would it still transmit to the cardio machine it the battery was low?

musicgirl - Yes, I did wet it down ( a few times to make sure I got it right!! )
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the chest strap before putting it on?

And make sure the monitors are secure to your chest. It is telling you it can't detect your heartrate. So you are are either dead or it it isn't tight/secure enough.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Since we are on Polar FT4 and I'm considering on purchasing one, what is the size of the chest strap that comes with the watch? I heard that it's at least 30 inches and that might be too long for me. =(
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I did see one place where you could order them online where you could get a smaller strap. I didn't measure mine since I'm large enough that I need mine almost all the way big to put it on at the moment.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my Polar FT7 which I've had for almost 2 years. Some days it seems to be off and I will lose my heart rate several times. I've been wondering if I need a new chest strap battery. Think I may try replacing the battery. I would be surprised if that was your issue because your HRM is brand new.
  • MrMVP2011
    Options
    :smile: I got this information right from the polar website.

If heart rate is not found with WearLink® Heart Rate Sensor

If you get 'Check WearLink!/ Check heart rate transmitter!' message when starting the exercise, or your training computer cannot find your heart rate signal, check that

the heart rate sensor strap is tight enough.
    the electrodes of the heart rate sensor are well moistened.
    the heart rate sensor is clean and undamaged.

You can also try if it would help to remove the heart rate sensor off your chest, detach the connector from the strap, wait for 30 seconds, replace the connector, put the heart rate sensor back onto your chest, and check if then your heart rate is found.

If you have tried everything above and you still get 'Check WearLink!/ Check heart rate transmitter!' message, the heart rate sensor battery may be empty.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I also have an FT4, but when my strap isn't tight/wet enough it reads my HR as 00. I don't get that message about checking the transmitter. So I think it must be something else.
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    Mine will do that now and then, Lose signal but I have had mine over a year, so It maybe the battery going.. I always wet it really well and then wear it super tights.. As far as strap length, I am very very small around the breast bone and rib cage area like xs in size and I can adjust the strap that came with the hr monitor very very tight.. you should have no issues unless you are the size of a 4 year old, In that case you don't belong on fitness pal without your parents approval.. lol : ) Hope this helps
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Since we are on Polar FT4 and I'm considering on purchasing one, what is the size of the chest strap that comes with the watch? I heard that it's at least 30 inches and that might be too long for me. =(
    30 inches? What for a CHEST strap??

I sure hope it is a sight bigger than that, I am a tad larger than 30 inches around the chest, even if it is placed under the titties.
  • jbeau1980
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions - it still seems strange that the cardio machine that I'm on is able to pick up the HR signal from my chest strap but the watch cant. Has anyone else had that problem?
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact measurement. I'm considering Polar HRM but I simply do not know if the chest strap will fit me. I'm only 5'1'' and my measurement at my belly button is 28, waist (at narrowest) is around 27. So I might not fit into the default chest strap that comes with the watch.
  • jbeau1980
    Options
    BUMP!
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks for sharing! :)
    :smile: I got this information right from the polar website.

If heart rate is not found with WearLink® Heart Rate Sensor

If you get 'Check WearLink!/ Check heart rate transmitter!' message when starting the exercise, or your training computer cannot find your heart rate signal, check that

the heart rate sensor strap is tight enough.
    the electrodes of the heart rate sensor are well moistened.
    the heart rate sensor is clean and undamaged.

You can also try if it would help to remove the heart rate sensor off your chest, detach the connector from the strap, wait for 30 seconds, replace the connector, put the heart rate sensor back onto your chest, and check if then your heart rate is found.

If you have tried everything above and you still get 'Check WearLink!/ Check heart rate transmitter!' message, the heart rate sensor battery may be empty.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    If the cardio machine is detecting the heart rate signal, but the watch is not then it may be the battery in the watch going out. I think I would order a new battery and just see if it fixes the problem. I realize this is a new watch, but batteries can be faulty
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    just did a search for this because i was having the same problem... I know you posted this a while ago but i just wanted to tell you the stupid mistake i made. the "electrode" part of the strap is not the middle where the connector snaps in... it's on either side of it. i was wetting the wrong area. I have to say though, with my older model Polar HRM, i didn't have to wet anything, just strapped it on. While it's a simple extra step, i'm worried i might forget to do it pretty often as i'm running late to the gym.
  • tkay72
    tkay72 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a polar ft4, the calories recorded after 60 mins of strengh and cardio training was 388, but when I logged in in polar website it told me I burnt 1384 calories. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there a setting I should be using on the watch I am not.
    Average heart rate was 128, maxium was 154.

Any suggestions welcome
  • paul2814
    paul2814 Posts: 2
    Options
    How do you use your polar with my fitness pal? Do they hook up somehow? I just read the calories burned on my polar and log it into mypal.
  • paul2814
    paul2814 Posts: 2
    Options
    What does that mean? Meaning when you logged into the web site it told you what you burned? Are you saying that it gives an average of what you most likely burned?