Still Gaining, Need encouragement

Options
I'm one of those people who got fat through calorie deprivation. I am now on week 4, and still gaining on 1230 calories per day. This is more than I have eaten in a year. Prior to this diet, my typical day was:
breakfast: coffee
lunch: protein bar and apple
dinner: home cooked meal (usually from weight watchers cookbook)
exercise: none

Now, I am walking 4 times per week, taking vitamins, drinking water and eating more calories. I am consistently gaining weight every week, although I show a calorie deficit compared to my BMR.

For those of you with similar experience, please tell me how long it took for the turn around.

Replies

• Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    R u losing inches? For me I didn't lose weight and gained a few lbs, worked out everyday and ate good. But I was losing inches and gaining muscle. Also, u might need to change up your workout routine. Your body gets use to doing the same thing everyday and won't burn as much as it would if you didn't do it every other day.
  • leahhelene
    leahhelene Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    R u losing inches? For me I didn't lose weight and gained a few lbs, worked out everyday and ate good. But I was losing inches and gaining muscle. Also, u might need to change up your workout routine. Your body gets use to doing the same thing everyday and won't burn as much as it would if you didn't do it every other day.
    Thanks! I am going to add some strength training. I'm not sure if I'm losing inches, but I feel better. I've never been able to get an accurate measurement of myself.
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You should but a tape measure. I have one so when I don't see the weight coming off I measure and see like 4ins came off. Makes me happier.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1230 total or net?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and will eventually see results. I don't know how long it will take but someone I know was like that and it took her 2-3 months for her metabolism to be "fixed". Frustrating, yes... But what's 2 months in the grand scheme of things. I think that's great that you are doing what you need to to get healthy. You didn't crash your metabolism overnight, so chances are it won't be fixed overnight but hang in there and you'll start seeing results. Your body is just still very confused at the moment, but we as humans are very adaptive and it will figure it out and start "releasing the fat" eventually. Hang in there!

Proof that "starvation mode" does exist after long term deprivation. Have you read the article "obesity at 700 calories a day?" it explains it very well.
  • sparkle422
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just started tracking my calories about 4 days ago because I've gained 3 pounds since Thanksgiving. I did the HCG diet 2x in the last year, in October 2011 when I finished it, I was 119.0. I ended up maintaing around 122.0, which I was fine with. We went to Pa. And NYC for Thanksgiving and I came home and weighed 123.0 ( I was happy with that, considering I ate a little more than when I'm at home). Now I weigh 126.6. I think when I'm home I restrict my calories more, so that's probably the problem. I don't have the energy to do hcg again, it takes a toll on the body. I love to work out, I do cardio on the treadmill and I do p90x to switch it up, then I notice I gain. I'm not yet doing any weights, so I don't think I'm gaining muscle yet. I tend to hold off on working out because then I know I'll see it on the scale. I have to figure this out on my own, I can't eat any healthier, my metabolism must be really screwed up. I am going to keep at this and see what happens. I have heard some that did HCG, that they can't lose weight after, I hope that's not true for me. I'm just looking to get back to 122/123. I hope someone out there has had these experiences, I'm trying to learn all I can about the metabolism, I think it's my life's work!
  • leahhelene
    Options
    1230 is my net
  • leahhelene
    Options
    You are doing great and will eventually see results. I don't know how long it will take but someone I know was like that and it took her 2-3 months for her metabolism to be "fixed". Frustrating, yes... But what's 2 months in the grand scheme of things. I think that's great that you are doing what you need to to get healthy. You didn't crash your metabolism overnight, so chances are it won't be fixed overnight but hang in there and you'll start seeing results. Your body is just still very confused at the moment, but we as humans are very adaptive and it will figure it out and start "releasing the fat" eventually. Hang in there!

Proof that "starvation mode" does exist after long term deprivation. Have you read the article "obesity at 700 calories a day?" it explains it very well.
    Thanks, and yes very good article. I was so glad to hear that I was not just losing my mind. I recall feeling exactly the same way when I found out at age 30 that I had high cholesterol. the doctor gave me a list of foods not to eat (none of which I eat), and as list of foods to eat (all of which I do). it was not until years later that they discovered high cholesterol is not necessarily about food.
  • leahhelene
    Options
    nope, no inches. Tried on a skirt that I wore a month ago and could not get it zipped.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

This article talks about a month timeline for gaining to turn it around.

Whatever you do, don't give up!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

This article talks about a month timeline for gaining to turn it around.

Whatever you do, don't give up!

I wish I had known how long it takes to turn things around a long time ago. Luckily, I got back on the wagon more times than I fell off.