Appetite suppressants

Has any one tried any product. Do they work?

Replies

• binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    I take Adipex aka phentermine 37.5 and I have lost roughly 47 lbs on it since July. It is a prescription weight loss drug, so your doctor may want to monitor you closely, but it DOES work & I love it!
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    I also started taking phentermine this past year and have lost 41 lbs. It is very helpful in the beginning, enough so that I was able to change my eating habits. I don't feel the effects of the drug as much now, but since I've been eating better for over half a year now it has made it a lot easier to stick with the plan. That and the losing 41 lbs! I do go in to see my doctor every 2 months to get my blood pressure checked. It's a precaution with this medicine they have to take, but it has had zero affect on me so far.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Well, I didn't take this FOR the appetite suppressing effects, but when my seizure disorder began I was put on Topamax (which is also an appetite suppressant--I'm not sure if it's been approved for that purpose yet, but it's been used off-label for weight loss I know). I HATED it--it made me dumber than a bag of hammers. I was probably on a LOT more of it than someone for weight loss would take, though.

(The medicine I take now causes weight GAIN, but I'd rather have that than not be able to remember the word for "chair").
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Thanks alot for the responses. amsandin and binariiangel how are the side effects? Years ago I got a supcription for duromine aka phentermin. On the 2nd day the heart palpitations were killing me, so Ii stopped. Now I have been thinking about it again :-(
  • Green tea is great.
  • mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 56 Member
    I had the exact same experience with Topamax: dumb as a brick the whole time, plus leg cramps, hair loss, mood swings, and an all-around feeling of helplessness. It was like being a depressed teenager again. Terrible!
  • lizbalfour
    lizbalfour Posts: 6 Member
    I think it depends on why you're over eating. My GP put me on medication last year (can't remember the name) but they didn't work for me as I'm an emotional eater so I don't necessarily eat when I'm hungry.