Fiber Foods

Options
I'm a 25 year old female, and I know that I need to up my fiber intake. I would guess that things like bran cereal would be good, but that gets really old, really quickly. Does anyone have some ideas that could diversify my fiber-foods? And how many grams should I be shooting for a day?

Replies

• weasleman42
    weasleman42 Posts: 90
    Options
    Apples, granola, whole-grain bread and pasta.. just to name a few. Good luck!
  • kidinthehall27
    kidinthehall27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the new Fiber One products like yogurt, pop tarts and granola bars. Also, eat whole grain breads etc.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Try the fiber one muffins, crackers, cereal and bars. I really like the muffins and chocolate oat bars. The cereal isn't quite as good as I thought it should be. Go for the high fiber bread--and lots of vegies. Weight Watchers yogurt has fiber in it as well. There are tons of options.
  • efunk68
    efunk68 Posts: 4
    Options
    My two favorites are fiber one bars and fiber oatmeal...the brown sugar and cin one is really good!!!!!!!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    fiber one yogurt, fiber one toaster pastries, fiber one pancakes- they're all soooo0o good! :happy:
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Metamucil?? don't laugh, lot's of fiber in it...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    If Fiber cereal bores you instead of eating it with milk, mix it with your favorite yougurt.:love:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    beans, beans, beans...whole, refried, dips (like hummus), on top of salad, bean salad...
  • elizabethlagudo
    Options
    I love Kashi Granola Bars.. The Dark Chocolate Cherry is the greatest it's only 120 calories and it has 7grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.. I love them!!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I would suggest staying away from fiber supplements and any food that is "fortified" with fiber, like the Fiber One products. These can cause intestinal discomfort (to put it nicely) if you are not used to having so much fiber in one shot.

Aim for 25-30 grams per day, but increase it SLOWLY, or else you will still have problems with said discomfort. Berries are an excellent and often overlooked source of fiber. They're in season now too, so you can get them cheap. I toss a handful of blueberries in my cereal, and eat a cup of cut up strawberries, blackberries and kiwi for a snack. Apples are good as well, and so are whole grain cereals, breads and pastas. Beans are excellent also.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    stick with real fiber like dark green veggies- Don't try and get your fiber from a box-

Fiber One's are okay but give you gas I stopped eating them.

Also slowly increase your fiber if you increase it too fast it will have the reverse effect.

Slowly bring your daily serving up-to 25-30g a day.

Drink water too you need water-

Sweet Potatoes are good too
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Apples with the skin, bananas, strawberries, lima beans, kidney beans, green beans, broccolli, ezekiel bread, corn, potatoes with the skin, spinach, oats and othetr whole grains.

I have no problem meeting the fiber requirements eating these foods. The only time I take a fiber supplement is when I've had a very fatty meal. Fiber absorbs some of the fat and carries it out of the body.

Be carefull not to overdo it with the fiber. It's fine when it comes in whole natural foods, but too much added fiber will cause some major intestinal discomfort. If you get your fiber from natural food sources you will get both soluble and insoluble fiber and both are beneficial.
  • ndrussell
    ndrussell Posts: 1
    Options
    Fiber one bars have 9 grams of fiber in one little bar good for breakfast or snack and I also like high fiber quaker oatmeal 10 grams in just one packet
  • Reenee
    Reenee Posts: 3
    Options
    Those sound like great ideas, thanks all! Now I have a full list for the next time I go shopping!