losing inches not pounds not sure why??

Options
Ok- How can you lose inches but not pounds? How can you lose pounds and not inches?? I don't get it? I've feel like i've lost inches but lost no pounds how can this be??

Replies

• hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. I've been loosing inches on my waist and not my hips. but also yet, the pounds keep dropping.
  • Beau815
    Beau815 Posts: 8
    Options
    Are you doing any weight work? If so your losing fat in inches and gaining muscle in weight. Its the ideal situation.
  • weasleman42
    weasleman42 Posts: 90
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So, when you exercise and build muscle, you can build enough to counter the fat lost. Keep up the hard work and the weight will start to come off. Good luck!
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    technically, muscle and fat weigh the same (a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh, um, a pound). But muscle is more dense than fat and therefore takes up less space. If your weight isn't changing, it just means you are replacing fat with muscle, which makes you smaller but not weight less. Eventually, the newly formed muscle will start helping you burn calories like crazy and you'll see the pounds drop, too.
  • jessicaelimb
    Options
    A pound of fat is = to a pound of muscle?? I don't get why people say this, there is more mass in muscle than there is in fat...
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're not really gaining muscle. It's really hard to do so on a calorie deficit.

When you start strength training, you activate the muscles you already have. They kinda wake up which means two things. First, they start to require water and water is heavy. Second, they start to absorb fat cells really efficiently which causes you to slim down.

So don't worry about building muscle; that's not the case. Keep doing whatever you are doing because whatever fat you're burning will eventually become bigger than the water weight your muscle needs to keep active.
  • Topxgun
    Topxgun Posts: 38
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Losing weight but not winches.

Although, if you've been working out a lot to lose weight and weren't working out before, you could just be gaining muscle mass.
  • lisapisa81
    lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat is = to a pound of muscle?? I don't get why people say this, there is more mass in muscle than there is in fat...

a pound of fat = a pound of muscle (if you're talking about weight - pound is a unit of measurement of weight)

a pound of fat > a pound of muscle (if you're talking about volume i.e. size).

muscle is more dense than fat. mass = density * volume. so if you have something that is more dense, it takes up less volume for the same amount of mass (and mass is just weight divided by the force due to gravity). this is probably confusing...blast having to remember physics!
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    yes, but a pound is a pound...a pound of feathers has a much greater mass than a pound of lead.
  • mandymaxwell222
    Options
    I went through the same thing a month ago, my clothes were getting bigger and bigger, but the scale wasn't going down any. My TOPS group told me to keep doing what I was doing b/c I was gaining muscle in place of the fat; (which is always good!!), then, finally, last week, I lost almost 4 lbs!!! I think I will come close to the same this week too!! (I will find out for sure tomorrow afternoon.) That month was awful for me, I am the weight recorder for my TOPS group and I get kinda dissappointed in myself if I don't loss along with everyone else, anyway, hang in there!! You'll see the results of all your hard work very soon!!!

Hope this was helpful!!
  • kenne
    kenne Posts: 13
    Options
    Forget the scale, use it no more than once a week preferably once every two weeks. A better gauge is how your clothes fit and how you feel.
  • cnj001
    cnj001 Posts: 15
    Options

Regardless of the difference in the mass of the two, a pound weighs a pound no matter what your weighing. The pound is a unit of measure and therefore a POUND in weight of feathers will WEIGH the same as a POUND in weight of cement. There will just be alot more feathers to make up its pound.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

Regardless of the difference in the mass of the two, a pound weighs a pound no matter what your weighing. The pound is a unit of measure and therefore a POUND in weight of feathers will WEIGH the same as a POUND in weight of cement. There will just be alot more feathers to make up its pound.

Think of fat as the feathers. You can get rid of a lot of feathers and add a little lead. The end product weighs the same, just taking up less space ... that's what we're talking about after all; people who weigh the same but get smaller nonetheless.
  • KimberlyKurtz
    KimberlyKurtz Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your answers!!! and input
  • KimberlyKurtz
    KimberlyKurtz Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks for everyone response!!!