back surgery

Options
On Tuesday I am having back surgery. I have a few problems with my back and constantly in pain, and surgery is the only way to fix it. I want my nice, normal quality of life back.
Has anyone else here had back surgery? I want to continue to to use MFP and I will have to do lots of walking. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the ordeal and how you were afterward?

Replies

• jothedog
    jothedog Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear that hope you get sorted soon
  • melissaconatser
    melissaconatser Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't had back surgery, but my husband did just over a year ago. His L3 - L4, L4-L5 and L5 - S1 were all bulged. They did a small incision in his lower back and clipped off the bulged parts of the discs.

He had an extremely hard time doing any movement at all for a little over a week. From there, he improved noticeably everyday. The thing with back surgery is, everyone is affected differently. His sciatica nerve had been compressed for months, so the doctor said that is probably why his recovery was so bad at first. I have a friend that had the exact same surgery a few months later, and she was only a little sore.

Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I did twice ( C-spine) and am sorry I did. The first did not go well and had to have another. I have a plate anterior and 2 rods posterior and in constant pain, worse then before I had them. If I had it to do over again, I would not do it.
  • Lkycharm
    Lkycharm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery in 2004 (L5-S1). I didn't start walking like the doctor said and gained 15 pounds in three months. As far as the surgery, it was the greatest thing I've ever done for my back (other than regular visits to my chiropractor). The surgery was a success with regards to the back pain. I still have some residual pain but it's from the nerve being compressed for so long before I decided to have the surgery - but it's minimal. My advice is to start walking as soon as the doctor tells you it's okay. Pray that you will have a quick recovery and that the surgery is a success.
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had 2 discectomies (L4-5 and L5-S1)- in December 2010 and July 2011. I'm still recovering. The chronic pain isn't there, and some days are so good I forget I even have a back. I'm in the middle of another flare up now, so I haven't been exercising much. I think the outcome is different for everyone, but I agree that walking as soon as you can helps. After my second surgery, my surgeon had me walking the day I got home from the hospital. I need to lose 40 pounds, and my back is the main motivation for that. I have a 5 year old and an 18 month old - I can't have any more back problems!
    What kind of surgery are you having?
  • steffihoney
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am really positive about it and tired of being in pain all the time. I will definitely be walking and hope to get up to the miles they want me to. I am having the L5-S1 disc removed and my own bone replacing it. My disc has slipped and a very painful myelogram showed that my nerve is pinched all the way around. The pain goes down both legs now and the right leg has nerve damage.

I kept telling my husband I wanted it fixed and finally the dr. said it was the only way to fix it. I agreed right there. I keep saying that I "Secreted" it. lol
  • justlosingit3
    Options
    Hold please...
  • justlosingit3
    Options
    I had back surgery about 5 years ago. I had a L5-S1 discectomy. Before the surgery, I couldn't stand up straight to walk. My sciatic nerve was pinched so I had horrible pain down my leg. I couldn't sleep unless I was curled up in a ball; that was the only way to relieve the pain. When I woke up from the surgery, I wanted to kiss the doctor!! All the pain was gone! Recovery from the surgery was NOTHING compared to the pain of the herniated disc. For about a year after the surgery, I could occasionally feel what I called "bone on bone", when I would make a sudden movement with my back. It was just a quick painful sensation that reminded me that I didn't have a full disc cushioning my spine--nothing really painful. Now, I don't have any pain at all. I still haven't returned to running, because I am afraid of the damage it might do to that disc, but I can do almost anything else that I want to. This year I rode in a 100 mile bike ride without any back pain. I wish you the best of luck!! Hopefully your surgery will be as successful as mine was!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Had Fusion 8 years ago.... best thing I ever did. Am able to live a normal active life now but still have to be very careful! Good Luck!
  • nilroctarp
    Options
    Best of luck to you. i have had two back surgeries. i had ruptures at two levels. one re-ruptured necessitating the second surgery. you hit the nail on the head. Walking will be your best friend. i wore out a pair of shoes. was dieting back then too. i cut my intake down some and drank lots of water. the medications can mess with your weight some so don't get upset if you see a temporary gain. it will work itself out.