my first day, too...sorta

Options
:blushing: Hi, I'm Kathy and today is my first day...I started a little differently in that I didn't change any of my eating habits, I plugged my info in and then ate as i normally would just to tally up a normal day, see what my eating habits really are like, I didn't go all crazy, just a typical workday Monday... I was way, way over my allowed calorie amount and am amazed how quickly the calories can add up!! tomorrow, i am starting my healthier lifestyle and have to admit, I'm scared to death of failing...again! A girl at work has been using my fitness pal and has lost 10 lbs since Easter so I am hoping I have the same sucess!! Wish me luck!! I am so gonna need it!!

Replies

• elizabethlagudo
    Options
    Welcome.. I hope it works for you.. I have lost 2 pounds since I started last Monday.. I intake 1200 calories, and walk or do aerobics for half an hour.. I really like this site because it's easy to find foods from everywhere you love to eat.. Good luck and remember to eat fiber because that is what keeps you full..
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    You cannot fail unless you give up. Welcome and I wish you the best! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Hi, I'm Kathy and today is my first day...I started a little differently in that I didn't change any of my eating habits, I plugged my info in and then ate as i normally would just to tally up a normal day, see what my eating habits really are like, I didn't go all crazy, just a typical workday Monday... I was way, way over my allowed calorie amount and am amazed how quickly the calories can add up!! tomorrow, i am starting my healthier lifestyle and have to admit, I'm scared to death of failing...again! A girl at work has been using my fitness pal and has lost 10 lbs since Easter so I am hoping I have the same sucess!! Wish me luck!! I am so gonna need it!!

Good job for looking at a typical day of eating before tryin to cut calories now if you just shave some off of those you will already have a deficit even if it isn't what MFP has you set at.
  • horstboys5
    horstboys5 Posts: 36
    Options
    :happy: You will not fail unless you stop trying! I think the biggest challenge is logging your foods religiously. When you begin to stop doing that or begin to cheat- then it spirals down. I have used the site faithfully (again) for just a week and lost a few pounds just really counting those calories. It may seem like a pain at first, but you can allow for things you'd really like if you plan.
    Also it's quite an eye opener to how many calories we do normally consume. Today I went to Panera for a lunch meeting and Before I left I decided what I'd get and how many calories it had. I did that last week for Chili's too and it's incredible how liberating it is to go out to eat, and not blow the whole day!
    I keep saying to myself (and this site) that there is nothing more freeing than being disciplined with eating and with exercise. It's not starving yourself or playing food games, it's just simple math. Calories in and calories out- that results in the weight loss- plain and simple.
    You can do it! Just commit to planning and spending some time getting used to inputting your foods and you'll do great!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options

I did the same thing when I started, and was amazed at the serving sizes, and the calories in everything that I ate. Once I realized what an actual serving was, I always try to count or measure what I am having so that it is only 1 serving, not 2 or 3. I have found that if I enter my food for the day in the morning, I can adjust as the day goes by if I need to, and it works great for me. Good luck. :smile:
  • noexcuse
    noexcuse Posts: 4
    Options
    trying to get back on track after a huge move from one side of the country to the other -literally. AK to NC
    Was really worried that i would gain back but only about 2 lbs. I was used to working out every day and cant seem to get motivated again. I went to the gym and just havent signed up at the new place yet. any suggestions to get me back in the swing of things. Thanks
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Hi Kathy, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :smile:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. I do. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • sole
    sole Posts: 4
    Options
    :happy: Hi all and thanks so much for the support, I am feeling really excited this morning and I went thru and logged all my usual foods...the trick will be portion size for me, but I am gonna keep pluggin away 1 day at a time!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to you!

It sounds like you are doing this a very smart way. Sort of easing into it and learning the process. I always say that baby steps can be the way to go because if you stress yourself out, you won't stick to it!

Just learning slowly and changing the way you do things, this lifestyle change can almost seem effortless. And simply understanding how food works and how your body absorbs certain things can make all the difference.

Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
    -Tami