I ruined my sweet potato fries

Options
NurseMisty
NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
I tried to make the sp fries. I cut them up to the equivelent of mcdonalds size fries. I let them soak in water for 15 minutes. Tossed them in olive oil and placed them in a single layer on a baking sheet with salt and pepper @ 450 for 15 minutes. Some of the smaller ones started to burn so I had to pull them. They are good, but soggy. I put the soggy ones in the fridge. Can I try to put them back in the oven tmrw to crisp up or do I have to throw them out. Also how should I do it next time?

Replies

• HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have yet to make them so I can't give you any tips/advice but look through these recipes and see what you've missed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1589-sweet-potato-fries

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/11848-sweet-potatoe-garlic-fries?hl=sweet+potato+fries#posts-86867

~Jo :flowerforyou:
  • weasleman42
    weasleman42 Posts: 90
    Options
    They will probably crisp/dry in the oven. After soaking in water, did you pat them dry? Good luck!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I've never soaked my sweet potato fries in water... Just tossed them in olive oil and spices and popped them in the oven. I bet you could put them back in the oven tomorrow and they would be good though.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I buy them frozen and then just throw them in the oven..

But the thing with sweet potato fries is they need to be eaten ASAP or they don't taste as good I always eat them first
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find that if you soak them in water you need to make sure to pat them as dry as you can then coat them in Olive oil. I tried not soaking them, but i need them cooked a little in order for them to taste good to me. I only soak them in hot water for 5 minutes then really pat them dry and coat them and bake them. They come out crispy for the most part except some of the bigger ones.
  • gailaldridge
    Options
    I use the Weight Watcher's recipe for regular fries all the time. I'm sure it will work with sweet potatoes, too. My fries always turn out nice and crisp. I think it is the sugar/salt solution.

This is a delicious lower fat, lower calorie baked french fry--evidently soaking the potatoes in the salt-sugar solution draws out some of their water. This way they brown and crisp instead of steam. So yummy! (to me, these taste like the fry-daddy type french fries my mom made me when I was a kid!) My non-dieter husband also deemed these delicious. 159 calories/5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol/28 g. carbs/3 g fiber Weight Watchers Points per serving: 3 This came from a WW book, but I'm not sure which one.

SERVES 4 (change servings and units)
    Ingredients
    1 1/4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    4 teaspoons oil
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
    1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a non-stick baking sheet w/ non-stick cooking spray.
    2) In a lg. bowl, combine potatoes, 1/4 teaspoons of the salt and all of sugar w/ cold water to cover. Soak 15 min, drain and blot dry.
    3) In another lg. bowl, toss potatoes w/ oil and paprika. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet.
    4) Bake, turning potatoes over as they brown, until cooked through and crisp. (Could take anywhere from 25-45 min., depending on how you cut your potatoes and your oven. My fries only took about 25 minute I checked on my potatoes and turned them about every 5 minute or so. You will see them browning and hear them sizzling.) Sprinkle w/ the remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I cut them up, put them in the microwave until they're rather soft (you can add a smidge of water to help steam them), then toss with olive oil and put in the oven to crisp them up.
  • NurseMisty
    Options
    Well there have been a few suggestions of making sure I patted them dry and I did NOT do that...so that could have added to it. I'll try to throw them in the oven tmrw, but I won't get my hopes up. I'll just have to try again another time! Thanks all!
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never soaked mine...what does it do?
  • NurseMisty
    Options
    It's supposed to help crisp them up when they bake.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I've never soaked mine.
    Me either, but I will next time. Mine never get crispy.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've never soaked mine either, usually spritz w/olive oil-water mixture, But most of mine burn or scorcj before I get them aas crispy as I like.
  • NurseMisty
    Options
    For anyone wanting an update, I baked them again. The problem with baking again to ensure crispiness is that some of them burn. But there were a good amount that did not burn and were okay. Next time, I will soak for atleast 20 minutes. I'll make sure they are extra dry before I toss in EVOO. Plus making them all uniform in size would help. Thanks everyone!