Son's Hospital Stay

Options
Hi all, my 8yo son is going to be undergoing surgery next week. He will be in the hospital for 3-5 days, and I plan in being at his side virtually every moment I can. I was hoping you all could offer suggestions of good food to take along with me. There is a McDonald's on the ground floor, and a cafeteria which I didn't check out during his last stay, so I don't know what they have. I am planning to bring my P90X to do at night after he falls asleep. the rooms are bigger than the room I do it in at home! I will have my protein powder and oatmeal, any other suggestions?

Replies

• mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say to load up on fruits and veggies. I'd bing apples, sugar snap peas, carrots, bananas, celery etc. Things that don't need lots of prep.

I'll being praying for you guys!
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would also add bring clementines, mini boxes of raisins, individual boxes of Silk soy drink, and some protein bars. The snack wraps at McDonald's with grilled chicken and no cheese is a option. Their salads are not bad either.
    My son had a hand held game for his hospital stay. An ipod would be good too.

I'll be praying for you guys too.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My son had a hand held game for his hospital stay. An ipod would be good too.

I'll be praying for you guys too.

Oh, yes, he comes prepared with books, legos, dsi and he will probably even be able to take his dad's new kindle fire. He is not hurting for diversion while he is in the hospital! Thanks for your prayers, they mean so much to me! (and him)
  • cindyw7
    cindyw7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get some protein in too. Hopefully the cafeteria will be progressive like some of the hospitals in my area have lots of healthy, decent tasting options for you.

Packages of unsweetened applesauce are good as well as tuna packs with some low calorie crackers, etc.
  • cindyw7
    cindyw7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    PS I will be asking Jesus to be your son's surgeon and to surround both of you with healing angels during your stay. Peace be with you.
  • chrissifreeman
    chrissifreeman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Praying for healing for your son, peace for you parents, and wisdom for the mediecal team.

If you bring a small cooler or insulated bad, how about turkey pepperoni and reduced string cheese or yogurts?
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Fabulous suggestions, I knew you all would think of things that hadn't crossed my mind! Thanks for all offering prayers!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    protein bars?

i live near two gigantic hospitals and both their cafeterias have healthy options like subway, salad bars, etc. also, will you be able to leave the hospital at all to get some fresh air? there may be a little restaurant or store nearby to purchase some stuff. hope the surgery goes well!
  • GroovyGma73
    Options
    praying for a smooth surgery and recovery for your son, another suggestion is if you know someones coming to visit maybe ask them to bring you in something you want
  • hereiskristina
    Options
    First good luck to your son. A pretty good snack is McDonalds fruit and yogurt parfait (about 190 calories)
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Try string cheese for an easy protein; pair with some fruit for variety. Best wishes to your whole family during the stressful time this is bound to be. Praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    will be praying for you and your son, and for a quick recovery.
    13651868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter