Healthy Crockpot recipes

Options
Kmm5062
Kmm5062 Posts: 10 Member
Every Sunday I like to make a larger dinner so we have left over’s the rest of the week. I make turkey chili once and a while, but other than that I do not have healthy recipes that are good. Does anyone have recipes they can share?

Replies

• HBBrown78
    HBBrown78 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1 lb stew beef
    3 cups chopped celery
    2 cups baby carrots
    1 larg onion chopped or sliced
    5 med. potatoes, chopped WITH skin
    2 small cans cream of mushroom soup
    sea salt
    pepper
    garlic
    water

Brown meat, veggies and seasonings in lrg pot. Add potatoes and 16 oz of water, simmer for 5 mins. Add cream of mushroom soup and stir. If it is too thick add a bit more water. Boil until potatoes and carrots are soft. yumm
    If you do this in a crock pot just brown the meat and seasonings then transfer to crock and add rest- let simmer all day
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I made a vegetarian lasagna with whole wheat noodles and vegetables. Instead of using regular spaghetti
    sauce, I used diced tomatoes (low sodium). It's a hearty meal, but I like heartier things when it is cold outside.

I got the recipe from Eatingwell.com 414 cal per serving, good source of fiber
    Here is the link: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/crockpot_lasagna.html

Then I pair it with a side salad and maybe some garlic bread. Just a small slice, of course - :laugh:

I was wary at first, but it was so easy and so great tasting and my husband loved it!
  • majaila
    majaila Posts: 40
    Options
    I make a minestrone in mine that is awesome - here's the recipe. It's super flexible, you can switch just about anything out and change the amounts of things as much as you want without ruining it.

1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 pound sweet italian sausage (optional)
    6 carrots, peeled and chopped
    4 ribs celery, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 15-ounce can white beans (cannellini, navy, great northern), drained and rinsed
    1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
    6 sprigs fresh thyme (or about a teaspoon dried)
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage (leaves or ground)
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    7-8 cups chicken broth (adjust to the level of brothiness you like in a soup)
    2 cups cooked ditalini pasta (or other small pasta)

Heat the oil in a pan and brown the sausage. Add cooked sausage and all other ingredients except pasta to slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Approximately 30 minutes before you plan to serve, cook and add the pasta. Cover and cook (still on low) for 20-30 more minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and crusty bread alongside.
  • Kmm5062
    Kmm5062 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks they all look really good
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com

She has LOTS of healthy, and delicious, crock pot recipes. I just made the Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili this weekend and it's FABULOUS!!!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    love that site. my mother made that chicken chili. its awesome

She has LOTS of healthy, and delicious, crock pot recipes. I just made the Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili this weekend and it's FABULOUS!!!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options

Love, love, love Gina at skinnytaste.com! And above is one of my favorite recipes. I actually cheat on this one and use browned ground turkey instead of the chicken breasts - makes it ready to eat much faster!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    Checkout the 'A year of slow cooking' blog. Lots of great recipes, I love making homemade yogurt in my crockpot! You may have to do some substituting in the recipes with low fat items...............but there is a light and healthy section also! Happy cooking!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
  • Have you tried the Bob's Red Mill Bountiful Black Bean Soup? There is a recipe on the back of the package. I just add an extra hour when I make it in the crock pot. I change the recipe a little bit by using low-sodium, fat free, organic broth, adding 2 crushed habanero peppers (I like spicy stuff) and nixing the squash. You can garnish with a little bit of pepper jack cheese if you like. It's really good after a long run and just a little bit fills you up quite a bit (Although, lots of carbs 30-40g per serving). I usually have a lot of leftovers so I freeze them in glass jars to eat at a later date.

Can you share your turkey chili recipe?
  • keya1976
    keya1976 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas! Thank you.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I need to mark this thread for future purposes!
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    CROCKPOT PORK STEW

1-1/2 pounds pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
    4 medium potatoes, peeled, and quartered
    5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup coarsely chopped onion
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
    1 10-ounce package frozen lima beans, thawed
    1 10-3/4-ounce can tomato soup
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine pork, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, bell pepper, and lima beans in Crock-Pot. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir into pork mixture. Cook on low setting 7 to 9 hourse, or until vegetables are tender. Makes 8 servings.
  • cheroki
    cheroki Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These recipies sound great! I recently bought a crockpot and not used it yet. Can't wait to try these recipies. Thanks guys.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I tried this last night, but did it on the stove top. It is an actual crock pot recipe though.

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (modified to be low fat/calories)

1 - 2 chicken breasts (chopped)
    garlic (i used minced)
    salt
    pepper
    carrots (sliced or chopped)
    celery (chopped)
    onion (chopped)
    1 container (4cups) all natural chicken broth
    1 cup water
    1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (The healthy 97% Fat Free)
    1/2 brick of Cream Cheese (1/3 less fat version)
    1 box Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice with seasoning packet

I took and sauteed the veggies in olive oil, added the chicken and garlic,salt,pepper (to taste) and cooked until the chicken was done. Put all of that plus the rest of the ingredients in a crock pot. If you are cooking it all day while you are at work I would cook on Low, if you just want it to be done in a few hours, cook on High. Stir to mix everything up and serve.

I guessed that it made 6 servings (I was totally guessing and it was like a hearty 1 cup serving) and the calories were only 148 per serving.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Here's Gina's recipe from skinnytast.com. I sub out the chicken breasts with ground turkey that I season while browning. I made it this time with fat free ground turkey and the calories for a nice sized 10 ounce serving is 250 calories.

There is nothing like a lazy Sunday when you have a meal cooking all day in the crock pot and the aroma of food is in the air, or coming home from work on a weeknight and having dinner ready when you get home. I love my slow cooker and this chicken chili is a delicious, low point, high fiber meal. It's so easy to make and it is great over rice, with multi-grain chips, topped with low fat cheddar cheese or low fat sour cream. This makes a lot and it is even better the next day for lunch!

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra points).