Could it be I am afraid to loose weight?

Options
I know i could do it. I know I would like to be much thinner but I think I may be holding on to it... Afraid to loose weight?

Replies

• JondaC
    JondaC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think that is the reason that I have been heavy for so long. It's like, I dream of being thin, but somehow, scared of it as well. I can't explain it, and I don't like it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you find you are sabotaging yourself, then yes, it could very well be just that. You might to put some time and effort into trying to determine just why you might be afraid. Make a list of those reasons, then make one listing all of the reasons why you want to lose that weight. That might help to clarify things for you.
  • LoveMySaints
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I think there are a couple of layers for why I have procrastinated for so long...one would be that for the 1st time in my life I actually have some cleavage and a booty lol, and I know they will be the 1st things to go as I start losing. Also, due to a traumatic attack last summer, I have found some "comfort" in not being as "attractive". I figure if guys will leave me alone, then that won't happen again, faulty reasoning I know.

It my health and making good choices for my son that has gotten me here, I will just build up those booty muscles and stop letting something in past make me unhealthy inside and out....

Good Luck!
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Could be - maybe you're afraid of the attention you would get? You don't want people "oogling" you and you think being fat is a way to make yourself unattractive to others.
    Maybe you're afraid of failure, failing to lose the weight, so why bother even trying?
    There are a lot of reasons why you might be afraid to....those are personal questions and demons you need to work out first - good luck to you!
  • mlconway89
    mlconway89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I've always had the same issue. Here's a great quote I read from time to time that really helps me know it's a good thing to be able to conquer these things and everything in our lives and give everything our all. Hope you enjoy it!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
    — Marianne Williamson
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight or holding onto it to avoid unwanted attention from the opposite sex is a very real thing. Not sure if this is your issue, but I can relate. My binge eating disorder never became bulimia and I always wondered why. In the last 6 months I've uncovered part of the answer and I know it is something I will eventually need to talk to a professional about because it isn't going away any time soon. Until then I will continue to talk to my support group about it.

My fat saved me from the perverted nature of my mother's 3rd husband. He was awful. 8 years younger than my mom, and only 23 years old when they met. It's ironic to think about how a person younger than I am now had that much affect on us. Now, I'd squash him like a bug. When they met, my sister was 11 and I was 8. That was also around the time I started bingeing. The more weight I gained, the more he left me alone.

Now that I'm losing weight and getting a womanly figure, it has come up again. I do not like it when men compliment my body, it makes me very uncomfortable and instead of being flattered, I'm annoyed and turned off. But men are pigs and they are very visual creatures so finding one that is more interested in my personality (*at first*) is going to be a difficult task.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Could be - maybe you're afraid of the attention you would get? You don't want people "oogling" you and you think being fat is a way to make yourself unattractive to others.
    Maybe you're afraid of failure, failing to lose the weight, so why bother even trying?
    There are a lot of reasons why you might be afraid to....those are personal questions and demons you need to work out first - good luck to you!

WOW! That reply was almost like you were talking directly to ME!
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    im afraid to try as well, I really want to and i love the effect that exersicing gives me..... but im afraid to keep trying. I'm afraid that i'll do it. and im not sure why. I do but i dont want to. I've "known" i'm an emotional eater for a couple of years now, but finally for the first time this past Sunday i actually felt it. if that makes sense lol.
    i could feel the comfort i could feel the closure of the void. i could actually feel all of it. I've always "known" i was eating emotionally, but i thought it was more a boredom eating, and i finally felt the sadness i was covering up. but i still havnt been able to quite put my finger on the rest.
    I make a joke that "everyday is day one for me" because i just stop trying and then try again.
    so i dunno
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I definitely think fear plays a role. Fear of failing for one. If you don't try and can keep telling yourself you'd be successful if you did try.

I also relate to holding onto the weight due to...occurences with men. For a long time I felt more comfortable being overweight and less attractive. The men I dated liked me more for me than because of my body. I'm over it now. I want to look good again, even if it does bring unwanted attention. I will be more careful now that I am older and wiser.