Working out making me gain weight??

So, I have been working out and eating right since September 2011. I lostaround 7lbs doing that...then I had a night class start up for ALL of december so I had to take a break from the gym. However, I ate really clean...and I lost 5 lbs and I can really tell. Now, I have started back to the gym and still eating healthy...but noticed I gained a few pounds ...I know I lost some muscle due to the break, however I want to know how I can lose like I was while working out...I already have an athletic body and I don't want any more muscle...Is there a way to only gain lean muscle or what should I do?

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    When you are in a caloric deficit you will lose both fat and muscle no matter what. The weight gain you experienced is most likely water weight from your muscles retaining more after exercise to repair themselves, which is a good thing and will even out eventually! To try and lose less muscle and more fat, strength training and adequate protein consumption are vital.

Also, the scale isn't always the best way to monitor your progress. Take some measurements and compare those at times when you aren't losing scale weight; I almost always have a measurement change when my weight loss stalls. You're still losing fat, just holding on to extra water for a little while as your body adjusts.
  • havalinaaa
    Also, it looks like you're getting really close to your goal. When you're body has less fat to lose, it tries harder to hold on to it. Maybe think about resetting your goal to a half pound a week and focus on strength training for muscle retention - this is more or less what I'm doing right now and I have about 10 pounds left to go.
  • havalinaaa
    Stupid double post.
  • I had the same problem. I actually quit working out all together. Not exactly on purpose.. but I did. I found it easier to lose the weight when I was just eating clean and maybe running a couple of times a week. Now that I am at my goal weight I am starting back at working out and hoping I can get tone again.

Not saying this is the right way- but it's worked for me. Just find what works best for you and go for it! You're doing great! Keep it up :)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Since you are just getting back into the working out again you are probably putting on a little weight in the form of water weight and your body is storing for glycogen repair. As a person first starts working out they may see a bit of an uptick in weight but it should shed right off as your body adjusts to the new routine again.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    You can't gain muscle mas in a caloric deficit.

The point of weightlifting in a deficit is to preserve existing lean mass as much as possible.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Thanks for posting this topic -- I need this today. I started back to my hardcore workouts this week after about a month and a half off after surgery, and I'm up 5 1/2 lbs. from Friday's weigh-in. This helped me remember to be patient, 'cause I am stressing all those unused muscles. Thanks for the REMINDER.

And Heddy21 -- I had the same experience in the month I was "off" my workouts. I lost the last stubborn 4 lbs. I'd been holding onto for 5 months.