Nothing Works!

katemenos
katemenos Posts: 12
edited September 19 in Motivation and Support
Hello there,

I have been using myfitnesspal for quite some time now. Originally I started using it as a way to actually gain weight as I went through a period of quasi-anorexia and really messed up my body and metabolism. Now that I'm back to eating normally, I find that I've gained too much weight and I really want to lose a solid five pounds.

My issue is, nothing I do seems to work! I work out at the gym for approximately half an hour three times a week. I really don't like to run, so I typically walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical. I enter my calories, and I'm typically under my allotment....even without the exercise. I eat around 1300-1400 a day...except on the weekends since I'm a twenty something and I tend to party on the weekends a bit too much (but I still try to keep it in check as much as I can!). I really wish I could just be happy with my body, but I miss the skinny girl.

I'm 5'5 and a half and weigh between 122-125 currently. At my lowest I weighed about 106, which was way too skinny. I really want to get down to 115, and while I realize everyone on here will think I'm just being nit picky, this is the weight that I really feel the most comfortable with.

I need help! Do I really need to eat ALL the calories, (even if I only end up burning like 200 on any given day). And can I really not go below 1200? I've tried that, and my body doesnt' like it because I feel like it thinks I'm starving it again.

Any advice you have would be great.

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Hello there,

I have been using myfitnesspal for quite some time now. Originally I started using it as a way to actually gain weight as I went through a period of quasi-anorexia and really messed up my body and metabolism. Now that I'm back to eating normally, I find that I've gained too much weight and I really want to lose a solid five pounds.

My issue is, nothing I do seems to work! I work out at the gym for approximately half an hour three times a week. I really don't like to run, so I typically walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical. I enter my calories, and I'm typically under my allotment....even without the exercise. I eat around 1300-1400 a day...except on the weekends since I'm a twenty something and I tend to party on the weekends a bit too much (but I still try to keep it in check as much as I can!). I really wish I could just be happy with my body, but I miss the skinny girl.

I'm 5'5 and a half and weigh between 122-125 currently. At my lowest I weighed about 106, which was way too skinny. I really want to get down to 115, and while I realize everyone on here will think I'm just being nit picky, this is the weight that I really feel the most comfortable with.

I need help! Do I really need to eat ALL the calories, (even if I only end up burning like 200 on any given day). And can I really not go below 1200? I've tried that, and my body doesnt' like it because I feel like it thinks I'm starving it again.

Kick up your workouts- Make them longer hit the weights-
    You could tighten up and look smaller even though the scale may not move-
  • hlminton
    hlminton Posts: 6
    If you are 5'5 and weight 125, there is no way you are bigger than a size 4ish so you shouldn't worry about it! I'm sure you look great!!
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Hello there,

Since you are at the gym already, why not try to up your workouts an extra even 10 minutes a week till you're up to an hour? Mix it up a little..try other machines other than the treadmill or elliptical, maybe try machines that challenge your body like the rowing machine or the stationary bike. Or look into a good class, one that burns more calories.

If you really like the treadmill, but hate to run I'd suggest increasing your incline so your body is working harder.

You have to challenge your body to do more..could be that it's thinking that your 1/2 hour workouts are normal now.

:flowerforyou:
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Hi,

I would say you are accidentally focusing on the numbers game too much.
    Tho you would like to lose that last 5 lbs. . . .I am sure the scale is just not moving
    as your work-outs are making your muscles lean and mean.

Your height and weight, girlfriend, you are rock solid.
    water water water and ramp up the cardiovascular to shed that last little bit, if
    you are determined to make that scale go down.

Good Luck!
    (I wish I only had 5lbs to lose, tee hee)
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Stop focusing on the scale and start doing some weight training. Although, I think you really need to talk to someone about your "quasi-anorexia" before it becomes an even bigger issue. When 115 isn't enough, what are you going to do? Then 110 won't be enough. If you get your eating in check now, you'll live a healthier life into your 30s, 40s, etc.... Good luck to you & stay healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • JudyZ
    JudyZ Posts: 23
    I also agree with the weight training. That has really changed my body much more than cardio alone. I mix up cardio and weight training. Also, sometimes when you calories are too low, you'll go into starvation mode and your body will hold on to as much fat as it possibly can. So, I definitely would not go below 1200!

I'm 5'4" and around 122, sometimes as low as 118, but I don't obsess about the number anymore. I just go by how my clothes fit.

You probably don't want to hear this, but drinking alchol on the weekend is probably affecting your results as well. :drinker: Why not try cutting that out for a few weeks and see if that does anything?
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Since you are in that "almost on target" area, you might want to get a body fat caliper. I got mine at GNC for $20. This was the best thing that I could have done for myself. Instead of focusing on the scale, I was able to figure out how much of me was lean body mass and how much of me was fat. For example, I wasn't able to log in much weight loss in the last four weeks but with the caliper, was able to figure out that I had lost five lbs of fat and gained 4 lbs in muscle mass. I was extatic!!

Now, I am 97lbs of lean mass and 30lbs of body fat. My target body fat % goal is 20%, which means I need to lose about 10 lbs and gain at least another 3 in lean mass. This is a great way to stay in check so you can stay in a healthy range. Height doesn't matter since everyone carries their weight around differently. However, you may not want to go below an 18% body fat content since that may not be healthy for you. Hope this helps!
  • Balentine
    Balentine Posts: 6
    Kate....I think you probably need to up your work-out time to an hour each day 4-6 times a week. I think you will find better results. Also include some sit ups and weight training, and walking outside, if weather permits into your routine. I am not an expert, but this is what I have learned. Cut back on the partying on the weekends...that probably doesn't help much. Party heavy one day and not the other. Might see changes.

I too have 20 lbs. I want to loose and have been doing Jazzercise for 4 years now. I don't seem to see results with jazzercise, so I am considering joining a gym.. I have checked a few out and really seem to like it more than I thought I would. The whole eating and what not too eat and how many calories, bothers me too, I don't know or understand how it works, but want to learn. So, I am going to get with a nutrisionist or a personal trainer, so they can show me what to eat, what not to eat, what to eat before a work out, what to eat after, what is better and give suggestions. Maybe that is the route you need to take.

I know what you mean about wanting to be skinny again. All I want is to drop 20 lbs. and have my flat stomach back again. I know my husband would love it too! Anyway, that is my goal. I would like to be at least 10lbs thinner by my 20 year H.S. reunion in July. So, we will see. Good luck! I hope this helps. Keep me informed.
This discussion has been closed.