For those of you that have heart monitors....

Options
Do you find that there is a great difference in the number of calories burned when compared to the machines at the gym?

Replies

• wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i do even when the gym machines sync to the hrm they still record more for me then the hrm and thats with age and height put in too
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I found the machines between 30% and 20% too high when compared to my HRM. MFP was as well, and some MFP activities were too low...
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I even find that when I input my weight, they are still off. Even the ones that pick up my HRM signal. I still go with my HRM numbers. They may not be 100% accurate, but since its right next to my chest, it'll be a bit more accurate.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mine differs by as much as 50%.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I do not go to the gym but I do find that my actual HRM numbers are quite different than what is estimated by MFP.
  • LoneStar_Pedaler2
    Options
    I have noticed a difference on the gym machines. I have a polar HR that actually "learns" your individual quirks (ie. avg HR over time, what your max HR is from multiple workouts, etc.) and are much more accurate than the gym machines.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i dont use any gym machines, but my HRM says 25-50% less cals burned than MFP and other online calculators. I guess that means i am not working as hard as average, but i sure feel like i am!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yep. Treadmill said 80 and my HRM said 167 - repeatedly

Oh and my HRM is often MORE or very close to MFP's calculations
  • mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on monitors? I would love to get one, but there's so many I'm confused (And I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars...).
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Gym machines, unless you input weight, height, age, gender, fitness level, etc are only ever going to give an average across all sizes and for both men and women. The figures on this site are equally only an average across all members, male and female.

I'm under five feet tall and weigh 119lb. Generally gym machines over estimate the figure on my HRM by around 60%. Fortunately I realised this before buying my HRM or I'd have been pretty upset!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    You can pretty much always assume that the machines in the gym are greatly overestimating. For instance, when I run six miles on a treadmill, the readout says I burn about 1000 calories. At my height, weight, and speed, there is no way that is happening, as pretty much every calculator ever says it's far less than that.

By comparison, MFP would give me a burn of about 740 for that, while my heart rate monitor gives me a burn of about 600.

I've found that MFP's calculations for running and walking overestimate, but are generally pretty close... All the other activities like "dancing, general" and so on are very rough estimates, and generally erring on the high side on this site, since they have less quantifiable elements like speed that MFP can use to calculate.

Trust your heart rate monitor -- it's the closest estimate you have, as long as it is using an algorithm that also takes into consideration your age, weight, etc. For instance, I do P90x. You might log that kind of thing here as "calisthenics, general" if you're doing a workout that would include a lot of push-ups. On MFP, that would give me a calculated burn of around 400 or so, but in real life, according to my MFP, it's probably a lot closer to 275.

If you're eating back part or all of your exercise calories, a miscalculation of a couple hundred could make a huge difference in your weight loss (or lack thereof).
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    The heart never lies!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on monitors? I would love to get one, but there's so many I'm confused (And I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars...).
    Polar FT4 is well regarded and it's the least expensive one that does a good job of estimating calories.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

you can get a polar hrm on amazon for <$80
  • George1567
    Options
    They are all a man made and programed device trying to monitor a living thing. You have a HRM so it is not worth the worry to diecide which one is correct. Go with your HRM, it is consistant......even if it is consistantly wrong. Record the data it gives you, factor that into your calorie intake. If you eat your base calories and all of your workout calories and your weight trend maintains then you know it is accurate for you. If you lose weight it is reading you short, if you gain weight it is reading extra. Thats why record keeping and trending is important.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Search this on the forums...the question comes up daily! I answered it twice yesterday. But I have a WAHOO fitness, bluetooth chest strap one that uses my iphone. LOVE it
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and like it (but I've only had it a week). :smile:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

I have a Polar FT7 and got it on Amazon for about $65.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just compared my HRM to a machine for the first time yesterday (I just got my HRM) and the machine said I burned about 200 more cals than my HRM said I did.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and like it (but I've only had it a week). :smile:

same here! got it for christmas. i like it so far!