Too Many Carbs, Not Enough Calories?

Options
Has anyone run into this problem ... you are within your calorie range for the day but you are WAY over carbs, protein, or both? This happens to me every day! I'm not *too* concerned because I am losing weight, but I'm not quite sure what to do... I love my overnight oats for breakfast (old fashioned oats soaked in milk and yogurt, topped with choice of fruit) after workouts because it is so filling. I also have 2 pieces of bread when I eat a sandwich for lunch and then if I have both in one day that pushes me right over the edge. And then between greek yogurt, the wheat bread, chicken breast, low-fat dairy ... I go way over my protein allowance!

Should I be concerned?

Replies

• dewybuttercup
    Options
    I tend to go over both of those as well- so I have wondered this often!
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Erica,

I've been on MFP since Sunday. I'm having no problem staying under the calories total but have found I'm doing the same as you. Are you going over your protein limit by a large number or just a small one?
  • erika010
    erika010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well typically around 10-15 grams, I'm actually not sure if that is a large or small amount I'm ashamed to say! That's about 1 6 oz. greek yogurt, protein-wise.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i usually go over the protein because it recommends such a low amount if you are trying to build muscle. haven't had a problem with carbs too much, i never realized how many carbs you were supposed to eat and i usually end up under
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has anyone run into this problem ... you are within your calorie range for the day but you are WAY over carbs, protein, or both? This happens to me every day! I'm not *too* concerned because I am losing weight, but I'm not quite sure what to do... I love my overnight oats for breakfast (old fashioned oats soaked in milk and yogurt, topped with choice of fruit) after workouts because it is so filling. I also have 2 pieces of bread when I eat a sandwich for lunch and then if I have both in one day that pushes me right over the edge. And then between greek yogurt, the wheat bread, chicken breast, low-fat dairy ... I go way over my protein allowance!

Should I be concerned?

You may have a slight concern if by going over in carbs and protein, it is leaving you utterly deficient in fats. Ideally you'd like to get a MINIMUM of 1g of pro per lb of lbm and .35-.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight, rest of cals can be used however you like.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Should I be concerned?

You may have a slight concern if by going over in carbs and protein, it is leaving you utterly deficient in fats. Ideally you'd like to get a MINIMUM of 1g of pro per lb of lbm and .35-.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight, rest of cals can be used however you like.

^ This.

Additionally, if the end result is that you're over on pro/carbs, but way under on fat, you can make up for it by just reducing carbs in place of fat the following day. It's just not a good idea to continually neglect dietary fat.
  • erika010
    erika010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the great ideas! I def. will switch up some of my choices so I can keep it more even. Thanks again!
  • KirstenSalvatore
    Options
    I've been on here for about a week.... so far I've been pretty good on staying within my calorie limit... but I keep going over in my carbs and sodium, am on the fence with the fats, and tend to not use up my protein or fiber. :( I used to never pay attention to anything but calories. So I guess I have to re-learn about what kinds of food give me which of these and rework my diet.