Help please.

Options
Does anyone have some hints for someone wanting to lose weight but is in a wheelchair most of the time due to arthritis and tendon damage. I'm looking for gentle exercise that i can do that will not put me in to much pain, been told by the dr that the nhs don't help people with weight problems that also have other health problems that effect their health at the dietitian department at the hospital any more and that if i want to lose weight im on my own.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Try upper body workouts; boxing, free weights, any upper body machine, arm bike... there's a lot you can do! Great for you for getting back in shape :D
  • monkeypain1984
    monkeypain1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thing is the arthritis is in most of my body with tendon damage due to an accident i was in to my right knee. i find just walking the dogs painful and i tend to walk them twice a day for a half hour each time. On the really bad days i struggle lifting an empty plastic cup. Will look at trying to build up slowly and see how things go. Really want to avoid having to up the painkillers im.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    An arobics instructor once told us that anything you do upper body - uses 30% more energy - so arm stuff is excellent.
    Use 1, 2 or 3 lb weights -work your way up - do arm lifts. Up to the top, slowly lower. Out to the side, hold, slowly raise
    and then alternatively lower them.
    Shadow boxing - which is basically fast punches out - left-right-left-right. 30 seconds of that and you'll be winded.
    Rig up some kind of pully - tie 5 lb bags of sugar in a secure bag - tie the bag to the door and over the door, or over the
    door knob - like a rowing machine. You can start out with 1 lb, 2 lb - work your way up.
    Good luck!
    J
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    YouTube has videos of wheelchair exercises. Best wishes :)