Thinking that the social aspect is the key... wanna be frien

Options
So here I am again... attempting to lose weight. I decided to ignore the fact that it's New Years resolution season; that's just too much pressure! It's simply the date when I discovered a program offered by my husband's employer, and they recommended this site.

Why is it that I am successful in all other aspects of my life (career, family, talents/aspirations, etc.), and I'm a project manager by profession... but I can't seem to manage the "project" of losing weight and getting healthy?! (And also of breaking this dang nail-biting habit...) It seems that I sabotage myself each time I head down this road -- though I don't know why!

I did lose about 30 pounds a few years ago (of course it, and more, is back) through Weight Watchers. It wasn't the program that helped me succeed as much as the PEOPLE. I am a social media/internet addict and love connecting online, so this forum seems to be the perfect vehicle for me to actually succeed this time -- and to perhaps be held accountable. :-)

It's Day One for me. Wish me luck! I'll be meeting my 27-year-old daughter for lunch today, but we'll be eating at the Mongolian Grill, where I can pile my bowl high with fresh veggies. Then it's off to SIT for two hours, watching "We Bought a Zoo."

Nice to meet y'all! Looking forward to making some great connections!

Replies

• kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    hi there, feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this. (You're not going to Chang's, are you? That place is made of evil. And deliciousness. But mostly evil.)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Having friends here is a definite key to success - so add them, add them, and add them! I'll be your token 'not new to MFP' friend if you wish to send a FR.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! :D
  • ajmaccar
    ajmaccar Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Its the first step in the right direction! You can do this. Rawr!
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I broke myself of the nail-biting habit (mostly) by adopting a rigorous nail care routine a.k.a painting them like twice a week, haha. I also just bought some different treatments to help them grow better/less thin and chip-prone so hopefully I'll be able to keep growing them longer now (before I had to keep them short cuz they'd crack easily)

also, happy to be friends!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I definitely agree. The tools are nice, but the more involved I am with other people, the better I do. It's nice having someone to support, someone to understand, someone to kick me in the rump when I need it, or even just to know I'm going to feel guilty when I have to tell someone I fell off.

At least I will say that the habits becoming easier after you do them for a while (most of the time...I'm kicking myself out of a holiday slump as we speak, lol). Hope it all goes well for you, and feel free to add if you need a friend. :)

Also, random, but I call my mother ladybug. Made me smile to see your name.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi! You're right... the support is awesome!!

I'm a fellow Northwesterner! Portland, Oregon here!

Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Orrnery
    Options
    Hi..no picture here! The fact that you have a 27 year old daughter and haven't figured out your "size" issue, means we have "stuff" in common. I, too, have a 27 year old and a 26 year old and while I have lost plenty of weight in my life, here I am again. Oh sure, age has something to do with it....but mostly, my hand keeps going to my mouth. January 2012 and I also just found myfitnesspal...you are my first contact. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure all this out-in groups and alone. I even watched 'Biggest Loser' last night! Yikes, it made me cry.
    Perhaps we could be accountable to each other as well as "our" fitnesspal. Fitness is my nemesis for sure. It's like keeping balls up in the air...I can get the eating part, but not the exercise part or visa versa.
  • draayer7
    draayer7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am the same way! I need to have a support group in order to accomplish my goal of losing weight...Here's to a new friendship and losing weight!! Good luck!

14137045.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • rescueangel
    rescueangel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey there......yep getting into a routine with a healthier way of eating (it's not a diet, but a change) is hard.
    Heck....I'm OCD and ask my self why I can OCD everything else in my life, but not a healthier me!!??

Join the club (oh wait...you did!!)
    Have a seat, a walk, an app on your cell phone....and log into your ready made support group.
    We'll be glad to chat with you.

Welcome aboard!!
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like to. I have been on MFP for 100 days as of today and have lost 32 lbs. My MFP friends have been such a great support network and have really helped me in this journey.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi There: Gotta work on a picture for me - love yours- you look so happy! I am not new here, but I have procrastinated and not followed my plan - so today is the first day of the rest.... you know the rest! I have adult children as well - 20, 18 and 16, but want to be alive to see my great grandkids! Please feel free to add me - I think the social/support aspect is one of the most important ways to get going! Here's to a great 2012!!!:wink:
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Im happy for you to add me i need the help too the social aspect helps alot.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you on the social aspect, I'm the same way!
    Feel free to add me.
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello, I found this site last year about this time and it has helped me alot! Down about 25 pounds! I have two daughters (28 and 30) and my youngest has started on here so I am super excited for her!!!
    I like knowing I can eat a little more with just a little bit of exercise. And I have learned alot from the message boards! Feel free to add me.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Welcome!

You will find many friends and lots of support here!

Feel free to add me. I have been on here for a year - and still love it!!
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
    I was an avid MFP'r for 2 months last year and lost weight, but then I got sick and quit everything totally. i'm back now and am feeling very motivated about it!
  • suzy1953
    suzy1953 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi why not add me i have just started the last few days
  • poshpaws1987
    Options
    Feel free to add me! :-)