Whey protein benefits?

Options
Hey I have been doing cardio and some strength training for awhile, but I want to start strength training more. I have heard that having a snack with protein after a work out helps repair muscles. I was wondering if it is nessecary to do so and should it be a whey protein shake? What kind do you guys use? I also know that some people have it before a workout, or for breakfast - when is the best time to have it?

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Whey protein really is just a simple food fix once you have finished the gym work out. Usually say you have around 45 minutes after your work out to get some protein in you to start the muscle repair. If you are able to eat proper healthy food after your workout then do so but most people use whey as a fast fix before they get home and eat. Thats my case anyways!

I have one at breakfast also to help boost my calorie intake as I find it hard eating all day long. Choose which ever you prefer.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    benefits?
    Fast digestibility, Since whey protein is in a powdered form, it is very useful when you need a quick fix of protein. You will often need protein quickly after your weight lifting/cardio workouts to encourage protein synthesis. It is recommended that people eat/drink something high in protein 0-30 minutes after their workout. The reason for this so soon after your workout is to inhibit the production of a catabolic hormone known as cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone which shuts down muscle growth. It increases in our body after we have used up a lot of energy and in order to prevent a build up of it; you need to refuel your body with calories. The easiest way of doing this is to have a whey protein shake as it takes literally no preparation time whatsoever and will be digested quicker than solid food. It is also useful to have in the mornings. Your muscles will be craving for some more food in the mornings since most of the time you won’t have eaten since dinner. Having a protein shake prior to or alongside breakfast will satisfy your muscles quickly and allow them to continue to rebuild.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    oh and i use isopure, it has 50 grams of protein with zero carbs and zero sugar. 100% whey protein isolate.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about whey protein lately too... is it really a good idea to drink these shakes after strength training? I've never ever considered them before, somehow thinking they were for bulking up bodybuilders. Lol. Now that I'm trying to learn about strength training and lean muscle building I'm thinking this stuff might be a good addition to my diet...
  • Shakes are good, but good whole protein is better, i use a combination of both to reach a high calorie post workout meal...upwards of 1700 cals which is also my breakfast too.