Does anyone cycle 40 miles each day?

Options
The reason I ask is that we may be moving house next year and I'm thinking I could commute the 20miles to work and back by bike. I only work 3 or 4 shifts a week so would have plenty of rest time. Do you think it's possible? Obviously I would slowly build up to it! :smile: let me know your thoughts....

Thanks!

Replies

• 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    During the summer i bike everywhere and it ends up being around that much. If you don't ride a bike too often, you might be a little sore in the seat area the next day, but it shouldn't be too bad. Make sure you leave enough time to get there without having to rush.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is that we may be moving house next year and I'm thinking I could commute the 20miles to work and back by bike. I only work 3 or 4 shifts a week so would have plenty of rest time. Do you think it's possible? Obviously I would slowly build up to it! :smile: let me know your thoughts....

Thanks!

I think it's possible if you are cycling during daylight hours - so once the light comes, but what is the route like? Is it on major A-roads? well-maintained B roads? Across London? etc etc All of those things will either add a danger factor or extra time. I use dto cycle from York to Selby a few times a week (13-ish? miles), but got the train back. Is there a train you could get part-way or back if you are feeling tired one day?

(This is all assuming you have factored in needing a shower at work - so extra time for that, taking spare clothes etc etc).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I would do about 20 miles a day, but I was not going anywhere, I was just cycling for health. It is possible, although you may find it a challenge for the first while.
  • sidhe31
    Options
    It's not that bad to commute that kind of distance, as long as you take the time to prepare yourself for it. I used to do a commute about 1.5 times longer, 5 times a week and, while it was tiring, I certainly was in good shape.
    Check your routes carefully, make sure you are comfortable with the roads you will be on, that's the biggest part. Take your time to adjust to the commute and you will enjoy it.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I commute 21 miles a day and often extend it a bit. Once you get used to it, it's really no big deal. I think 30 miles+ is very possible. I know people who ride around the low thirties every day. Consecutive rides on weekend days during the summer have shown me I can handle 50 or 60 miles a day, fairly easily. A lot is going to depend on when you plan to do this (starting in mid winer?) and where the commute is.

Best of luck - cheers :)
  • Lp80
    Lp80 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I am going to train for the London to Paris bike ride and we are not looking to move before that's over so I should be able to sort out some good routes by then. :)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    2 of my cycling buddies did Lon - Paris last year and had an awesome time!
  • Lp80
    Lp80 Posts: 29
    Options
    2 of my cycling buddies did Lon - Paris last year and had an awesome time!

Great stuff! I am a marathon runner so it's a huge challenge for me. Am going to give myself 6 months to train for it and it's a good excuse to buy a new road bike! :laugh:
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a good bike-builder. Someone who measures you up accurately (length of arms, in proportion to legs and length of body etc). I had a bike built by someone who guessed and they got it wrong 'coz i've got anthropoid arms!!! Get some tips from other cyclists in a cycling club. Good Luck!!
  • DrIanKellar
    DrIanKellar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do a 36 mile commute 5 days a week during the winter, and up it to 39 in the summer. It's fine - if the weather is okay, it's an hour each way. However, I've been caught in the snow and it's taken 90 minutes. I've found I've become pretty obsessive about the weather and bike prep. Did 15000kms last year.
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    I would love it if I had a 20+ mile commute to work by bike. I'd do it everyday come sunshine, hell or high water. Two 20 miles a ride in a single day should be nothing after a while, even on consecutive days. I've been commuting by bike to work for years and would usually make it part of training where I did 60 - 100 miles during a weekday.
  • amaion17
    amaion17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you might get sweaty from the ride so i would prepare some time or extra clothes for that... i have spin class and we work it out for 60 mins and im drenched. lol good luck. and i say thanks for ditching that unhealthy, costly, environmently bad car for an eco friendly and healthy trip to work. :)