Too Lean Cuisine?

Options
I weigh 256.8 lbs. I'm 5'10" and 33 years old. Are Lean Cuisine meals too small for someone my size. I plan on doing about 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week and some light resistance a couple times a week. Are those frozen meals too small for me to each at lunch? I had one today and was so hungry I had another. Total Cal count came out to 500. Let me know what you think.

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I am 6'1" and 265 lbs and I only eat one at lunch.
    Make sure you are drinking lots of water and having lots of Fiber in the mornings (Bran Buds with Yogurt) That will help to keep you full.

Once you have adjusted you will find one is enough, but if you need you can add in a granola bar.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Lean Cuisine meals. I have one everyday for lunch pretty much. I am 5'8 and 252 lbs and they keep me full pretty much all the way up until dinner time!
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anyone's response--but my own experience is that I'm ALWAYS starving after eating them...plus it's got a ton of sodium and there is nothing really nutritious in there for you. I think it's better for you to make your own from scratch, break it into portions and freeze it and then grab that for lunch. There is a recipe builder on here so you can figure out the calories. Good luck!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine leaves me feeling hungry every time. And I am used to having a 300-calorie lunch.
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work nights and I'm at school all day so I don't have a ton of time to premake a dinner. I'll grab one of these for dinner to take to work but I usually grab one that is as high as I can find in calories otherwise I'm hungry a little while later.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners always leave me hungry. If you were to eat a 300-500 calorie homemade lunch (leftovers) you'd be more satisfied. If that's not an option try pairing something with the Lean Cuisine like an extra side of veggies or protein. The sodium in those things is ridiculous so I wouldn't recommend eating two!
  • david2831g
    david2831g Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. They are tastey, but not filling that is for sure.
  • Caylee320
    Caylee320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I occasionally grab a frozen entree for lunch. I enjoy the Healthy Choice complete meals best. They seem to fill me up the most! Most of them are between 250 and 380 cal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice meals may come in larger sizes. The Lean Cuisines are filling for a woman, but not so much for guys. I would add to your meal, maybe a nice side salad and a piece of fruit. That should help a bit.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine leaves me feeling hungry every time. And I am used to having a 300-calorie lunch.

This^^^ It's like an appetizer - I eat it and then want to know where my "real" lunch is, lol!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you allowed? Honestly I'd rather make something filling with some kind of nutritional value for lunch. :p if they are too small for you... Don't eat them. You'll only end up doing what you did.(eat another)

If you cook dinner I highly suggest leftovers/mixing leftovers with fresh foods.
  • melissammundy
    Options
    I dont eat lean cuisines everyday but when i do eat lean cuisines its with a side of steamed veggies. Usually i have more veggies than whats in the lean cuisine and it fills me right up. You can also have a piece of fruit after if your still hungry or a salad as someone suggested.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I always have mine for dinner. I hear the more you eat in the morning and afternoon, the better. Considering you're walking and burning it all off. And that your smaller meal should be for evening. It's been working well for me! And be sure you're allowing about 30 minutes and drinking some water before deciding to make another meal. It takes about half an hour for your body to determine that it's full. And the water because it could be thirst rather than hunger. Hope it helps!
  • Bigtunatina
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 145 lbs and I still want to eat more after eating a lean cuisine. I don't even bother. I feel like its a waste of calories in my belly when I can take that 250-300 and make it into a huge salad with 4oz chicken.

Once you get into a routine you will see the benefit of just bringing/packing your lunch over the lean cuisines. But if thats all you can do - buy a bag of frozen veggies and add it to your meal
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I think they're pretty filling but I always make sure I have some serious protein early in the day...they're more of a guilty or lazy pleasure since I feel bad about all the additives in them...Also I'm a cheap *kitten* and always make my lunches :happy:
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have lean cuisine for lunch too if it's not filling you add a serve of steamed veg i think its around 56cals, it's really filling and good for you :)
  • GreatGrace
    GreatGrace Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 120 pounds (120 pounds ago) a Lean Cuisine by itself would not hold me. Bulk it up with 1-2 cups of veggies or a 80 cal yogurt and a piece of fruit.
  • GreatGrace
    GreatGrace Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 120 pounds (120 pounds ago) a Lean Cuisine by itself would not hold me. Bulk it up with 1-2 cups of veggies or a 80 cal yogurt and a piece of fruit.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I usually have something with mine, carrots or cottage cheese and it works for me. Then an afternoon snack to tide me over till dinner. The sodium isn't so bad compared to others.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I used to rely on them, until I realized they were mostly crap. Lots of preservatives and fillers. Bake a chicken breast (or two) the night before. Grab those in the morning along with a steam fresh bag of veggies. Even if you eat 2 chicken breasts and the entire bag of veggies, you will still be around 400 calories. With a lot more food and a lot more goodness. If you're still hungry with that, add 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese. All easily portable and take the same amount of time to heat and eat!