Opinions on Weight Watchers?

Options
mm3898
mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
My roomie recently got involved in WW and I'm wondering what the general consensus on MFP is regarding that. I don't feel comfortable with doing WW myself because I've always been more of an actual calorie-counter and I don't understand it too well either. I've been doing some research on it and I'm just curious what people think.

I'm not considering beginning WW myself, but since my roomie and I are close, I want to understand it better and maybe know how to do conversions from WW points to calories without entering every ingredient into MFP's recipe calculator.

Any thoughts/ WW to cal advice is appreciated!

Replies

• rmgd
    rmgd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for YEARS it seemed like. I like this website much better as it gives you actual data instead of data that you can only use with that program. also, no weekly payments :) Good Luck.
  • becks0309
    becks0309 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hated it. I was always hungry, no matter what I ate/didn't eat. I only had a little to lose and was given the same amount of points as someone who had much, much more to lose. There didn't seem to be any logic as to how someone's daily points were calculated.
  • melissakay1q
    Options
    I was on WW for several years and had success. I feel like it is a good program. I am having difficulties going from Points to calories! Just takes time!

There's no cut-and-dry way to convert Points or to calories. You could have 3 different food items with the same amount of calories but different Points values. That's because WW Points are calculated with a combination of fiber/protein/fat/carb. There used to be a slider in the first WW book you recieve to help you calculate Points values. Now, it's all done with special calculators purchased through WW, on a smart phone WW app or on the WW website.

It'd be interesting to compare each of your daily menus to see if they work out calorie-wise and Points-wise!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it, but I like counting calories because it is simple and it makes sense.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I did well on WW and lost 12 lbs and kept it off. But I stopped because it got expensive and I had better ways to spend my money.

I only did WW online and loved the database! It was very helpful to have it all at my fingertips! And recipes too to count your points. However, I didn't like that WW never accounted for sugar. For me, sugar is evil. It's why/how I gain weight.

I try to use some of the concepts of WW as well as calorie counting and just overall eating healthy. But we'll see as I'm a MFP newbie...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As far as commercial diet plans go, it's far from the worst. That said, I don't see why you wouldn't just count calories for free.
  • mm3898
    Options
    I was on WW for several years and had success. I feel like it is a good program. I am having difficulties going from Points to calories! Just takes time!

There's no cut-and-dry way to convert Points or to calories. You could have 3 different food items with the same amount of calories but different Points values. That's because WW Points are calculated with a combination of fiber/protein/fat/carb. There used to be a slider in the first WW book you recieve to help you calculate Points values. Now, it's all done with special calculators purchased through WW, on a smart phone WW app or on the WW website.

It'd be interesting to compare each of your daily menus to see if they work out calorie-wise and Points-wise!

I agree, I would like to see if my diet is within WW parameters, just for the heck of it. I think I'll try that tomorrow when I have time to burn. Thanks for the idea!
  • mm3898
    Options
    As far as commercial diet plans go, it's far from the worst. That said, I don't see why you wouldn't just count calories for free.

Totally agree with you there! I love MFP, I just really like understanding what else is out there especially when someone so close to me is using WW and we eat meals together often.
  • naecarter
    naecarter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I paid for a membership last month, but didn't stick with it. It's going to end in a couple of days. Just out of curiousity, yesterday, I logged my food on MFP and in WW. I was wayyyyy over my daily points, but my calorie intake on MFP was perfect. The carbs definitely have an impact on your points!

I've been debating on whether or not to stick with it, because it seems like it does encourage you to stay away from carbs, but at the same time, it's a lot of money to have to cough up!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i did it when they had the core system. i never had to track and ate only unprocessed foods and they gave you extra pts for the wk if you want chocolate or wine or whatever. i lost 30 lbs kept it off for a year and a half and slowly the weight crept back on. this is free, has tons more support than just an hr a wk, afterall if i cant sleep i can get on here to get motivated. oh and i did i mention free? some of my best friends are on here now even though i have not met one in person yet. I have the best friends in the world!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just my OPINION ONLY...... I cannot see spending money on a program that doesn't teach you anything. Not saying some did not learn, just saying, if someone figures it all out for you, how do you learn to do it your self. to all those that made it a success, great. some of us are not as disciplined. good luck to all
  • stephanie1187
    Options
    If someone is on WW they need to also workout, especially strength train. The foods WW suggests for you doesn't feed your muscle so most people end up losing a lot of weight but what they don't know is that the weight they lost is mostly muscle mass.
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lb using WW. Really liked it but needed to figure out where I could stop spending money. Figured weight loss is all about calories in versus calories out so this is perfect. WW does help with minimizing carbs and increasing fiber (at least it used to). i say whatever works and keeps you motivated. The one think I've leaned is you need to get involved; at least that's the case with me.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    As you will probably see, some people like it, some hate it. Most people on here who have tried it...well, they're here now. 'Nuff said.
    I know some who have been successful, even without a lot of the meetings, but I should say the ones that did well, attended meetings, and got into the whole social aspect.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I lost 89 lbs on the flex plan. I was a huge WW advocate.

then they changed the plan and it didn't work for me anymore.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've done WW in the past and I liked it. I didn't go to the meetings - just went on my own and did it for free. If you pay attention, it does teach you that high fiber is good, low fat (of course) is good, veggies are good and the stuff in the high points area don't keep you full. It (to me) was easier than counting calories and it taught me a lot about what I should be eating vs what I shouldn't be eating. I think it just depends on the person because some people really like counting calories...some like counting points. I HATE them both! But I wanted to learn more about the calories so here I am.

Back when I did WW I didn't really exercise as much so eating better was my way of losing weight. Now I lose my weight mostly from exercise. I hate tracking my food, but I know I really have to to sustain a healthy lifestyle.

I think both ways are equally sustainable as long as you are willing to keep at it. You'll learn healthy eating habits from counting points OR calories. Just depends on where you like looking up your numbers! :o)
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I gave it a whirl after my first born (almost 5 years ago ahhh!!) I did well. My mom lost almost 100lbs on it and I know quite a few other men & women that have been successful with it. Personally, I can't see spending the money on it, when I can do virtually the same thing here. $20/month plus groceries plus my gym membership is A LOT OF MONEY for me. I think the trick with ANY program is to hold yourself accountable for what you eat. Just like balancing your checkbook. At the end of the day, week, month whatever you sure would like to know where all you money went, right? Why wouldn't you want to know how you gained/lost all your weight. Get my drift? Good luck in your decision!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have used WW before too and have had pretty good results. I have been using MFP for a little over 2 months now and find it waaaaayyyyy easier to figure and work with. I don't feel like I'm dieting I just feel like I am living my life!! And like others have said it's free. Oh and the support and motivation here is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was at WW for months before I came here. The thing that jumped off the page to me was the "free" foods (certain vegetables) ... ie food you can eat as muh as you want on WW ... here those calories count, but they are usually very very small unless eaten in large large quantities.

Otherwise, both rely on the concept of accountability and paying attention to what goes in vs. what goes out, which in the end, Works. I will note that I lost five more pounds in the same amount of time here than on WW.

I moved to MFP when a friend turned me on to it. I overlapped for a month or so before I cancelled the WW account because:

(1) It was easier to log here - more foods are in the data base, and the system just seems more user friendly.
    (2) MFP is free.
    (3) The people here are more engaged with each other and discuss everything and cheer each other on and criticize each other ... and are just more inspiring. I truly felt much more alone on WW.
    (4) The math is simple and easy to understand, and something I could easily practice for my lifetime, no special calculator or app needed.

In the end, it is your focus that brings results. WW and MFP are both tools for bringing that focus forward. Some people feel the need to account when they pay for the program, others do not need that additional incentive.

Good luck to your and your friend on your journey. Which ever way you decide to be accountable, the results will surely be positive!
  • ckdorner
    Options
    I lost about 35 pounds on it 7 years ago and kept it off until the second kid came along. I started it again last summer (and fell of the wagon several times) until I joined MFP in November. Did both for a while and generally speaking, my daily point allowance (29 points) equated to anywhere between 1200-1500 calories, depending on the type of foods I was eating. Fruit and veg are "free" on WW, so they don't count towards the daily total. Most of the time when I got to 1500 calories on MFP AND stayed within my WW daily point allowance, it was from eating a lot of fruit and vegetables. Without the fruit and veg, I was usually around 1200-1300 calories.