Whole Wheat Pasta recipes?

Options
I am a total pasta addict, so I am loving whole wheat angel hair pasta from mueller's. BUT I need some recipes! Help! 2 nights this week I had Angel hair with chicken, broccoli, carrots, and a tablespoon of cream with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese... it was kind of a faux alfredo and the calories were super low, around 500. But I need more recipe ideas for my angel hair noodles lol!!

Replies

• doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love doing wheat pasta, chicken breast marianted in light balsamic and garlic dressing, olive oil, fresh garlic, red pepper and parmesan cheese. So simple but soooo good.
  • AnnieDrews
    Options
    Hi! I love pasta, too! Here is a link to a recipe that I have not tried, but is on my To-Do list. Also now nutritional info on it, but it looks fairly light to me. You could run it through a recipe analyzer.

http://cappers.grit.com/food/recipe/shrimp-fra-diavolo-recipe.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_content=CAPPERs+Courier+01.02.12&utm_campaign=2012+CAP+ENEWS&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Here is a recipe I have used over and over again. The original recipe stated it was 4 servings, but they would have to be huge servings as this recipe makes a good size pot. It would easily split up into 8 servings which would make it healthier. This is a family favorite.

NOTES:

-I baked one large boneless, skinless chicken breast (sprinkled w/ garlic powder, salt and pepper at 350 degrees for 30 min.) and chopped it and added it into the sauce at the end. It really made it good. The nutritional info does NOT Include the chicken breast meat.

-I highly recommend having the sauce ingredients measured out and ready to go. It is a fast process and it helped to have everything ready. Even then, I almost scorched the garlic.

-I did not use "fresh" pasta. I used boxed fettuccinne and cooked for 14 min.

-DON'T FORGET to use the pasta water for thinning. I did need it and was glad I didn't miss this step.

Low-Cal Fettuccine Alfredo

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (about one lemon)
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup low-fat (2%) milk
    Kosher salt
    2 tablespoons Neufchatel or low-fat cream cheese
    3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    12 ounces fresh fettuccine
    Freshly ground pepper
    Directions
    Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook until the garlic is slightly soft, about 1 minute. Add in the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon,1 minute. Whisk in the milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, whisking constantly, until just thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the Neufchatel and parmesan cheese; whisk until melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the chopped parsley.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.

Add the sauce and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and gently toss to combine, adding more cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with parmesan and pepper.

(Nutritional info is for 4 servings. This recipe easily makes 8 servings.)
    Per serving: Calories 490; Fat 15 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 48 mg; Sodium 734 mg; Carbohydrate 66 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 20 g

Per serving (8 servings): Calories 245; Fat 7.5 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 24 mg; Sodium 367 mg; Carbs 33 g; Fiber 1.5 g; Protein 10 g
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Dreamfields low carb pasta? It is the bomb!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I love doing wheat pasta, chicken breast marianted in light balsamic and garlic dressing, olive oil, fresh garlic, red pepper and parmesan cheese. So simple but soooo good.

mmm sounds really good :) Do you mean a salad dressing or a homemade one???
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I prefer fresh pasta over the hard stuff, even if its whole wheat. Its usually lower cal and carb (idk why, thats just what i noticed). :3 Plus its faster to cook and much tastier.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

mmm sounds really good :) Do you mean a salad dressing or a homemade one???

I use Newmans Dressing....really good.