Help with creating a long-distance coumadin meal plan for an

Options
I feel like I need to have an eating intervention with my aging father. He had blood clots in his lungs that landed him in the ICU in critical condition this last summer. A few years ago half of his face froze and he lost part of his vision because one of the arteries to his brain was 90% clogged and he had to have surgery.

Now he's on coumadin and can't seem to put down the booze or the bacon. He's in FL for the winter, and I am in MA. When he was in the northeast in the summer, they tried to get him into a coumadin diet workshop, but he was denied access because he's on medicare. I have asked him to get a referral to a dietician / nutritionist but now he's in FL and I don't know if he will follow through.

My mom has the best intentions, but she doesn't know how to eat healthy, either. I gave them the book Forks Over Knives, but that won't address the coumadin diet issue. I think I would like to create a shopping list and meal plan for them. Does anyone have any examples?

My mom hates to cook. My dad would eat spam and circus peanuts if left to his own devices. I really want to help, but I don't know what vegetables he can, or is willing to, eat. It would be so much easier if they were closer. :(

Any ideas for me?

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Don't have an answer for you. I know you're hurting and wanting to help. A life time of bad habits (eating or others) can't be resolved because a family member want them to be. If all that's happened to him has scared him straight, I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to make it happen. He has to want it for himself. When they are with you, serve simple healthy meals to show them how easy, satisfying and just plan good, they can be. For the rest, say a prayer. I'll have them in mine. Good luck.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I would advise against trying to make your own diet plan for someone on Coumadin. Just for your information foods that contain Vitamin K will decrease the INR and decrease the effects of Coumadin. Green leafy vegetables such spinach are the biggest culprits but other foods are high in Vitamin K as well.