Popcorn

Options
Is popcorn actually healthy? Like home popped from the kernels with a teaspoon of oil? with either a teaspoon of salt or sugar?

Replies

• Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Go for the air-popper! It's way healthier than the one you add oil to.
    I like my popcorn with a little salt, little butter, and parmesan cheese.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn a lot. I have an airpopper, so there's no oil added at all. If I'm feeling adventurous, I may add some butter and seasoning, but I like it plain. It's low cal though, and keeps you full, plus it has some fiber in it, so I count it as pretty healthy.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I agree about the hot air popper, or look up how to pop popcorn in the microwave if you don't have a hot air popper (mine was like $10 at Wal-Fart) I use Kernel Seasoning's popcorn flavorings or 0 calorie spray butter or eat it plain. It's fun and so good for you! Lots of fiber and very low cal!!
  • lilgriffo
    Options
    You can nuke it in the microwave in a bowl with splatter guard on top without using oil if you dont have an air popper! i have mine with icing sugar! nomnom
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I like kettle corn.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Like any food you consume, as long as you account for the butter, salt, sugar you can work it into your total calories. I happen to love popcorn, and it's great fiber food and filling.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I broke down and ate a bag of theater style butter microwave popcorn today :) It was so good!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    You can nuke it in the microwave in a bowl with splatter guard on top without using oil if you dont have an air popper! i have mine with icing sugar! nomnom

what a great idea! I use my air popper but hate the popcorn cuz it has no flavor so I end up putting butter on it.
    This sounds yummy. 20 calories of icing sugar would go a long way. Great Idea!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I do 2 tbl of canola oil with almost 3/4 C of kernals. It makes a huge amount of popcorn. I top it with 1 tbl of butter & a little salt. I've tried eating the air popped stuff but I don't care for the taste. As long as I plan ahead for the calories I don't worry about it.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    2 tblsp of kernals popped + some oil in your pan = about 100 cals of very FILLING B vits!!!

You can get some cool powdered cheese toppings at Savory Spice, and I like the Fox-something at Penzeys as well. Powdered cheese is low in cals too.

I also put B vit loaded Brewer's Yeaast on it with my cheese toppings. I would say it's one of the weapons in our aresenal to lose weight! It fills you UP, low in cals, has a lot of FIBER in it.