Does tracking weightlifting in MFP work for you?

Options
If I track cardo is works fine, if I track weightlifting (any kind) it comes back with cals of zero?
What am I doing wrong here?

Regards,
Simon

Replies

• sarahlynn82
    Options
    I just did a search for this as well. It's under cardio as strength training. Just search the database it should show up for you.
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's not the same thing though. I think that's refering more to something like Pump exercise.

If I track how many Squarts, deadlifts, etc, I do why doesn't it show the cals for these?
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    it does not show cals because they differ for every single person. You would need to manually add them for each exercise.

Your weight, gender, your lifting speed, number of reps you do, how heavy you lift, rest period between lifts - all this directly impacts cal burn. No way to know an accurate average.

A much easier way is to track it with a Heart Rate monitor, then list it under Cardio, and how many minutes spent. (you can create your own exercise name or workout name)

Thats still not perfect, as actual cal burn does not track as accurately for strength training vs Cardio - but will give you a rough workable range.

If you are very busy between reps, moving fast from one set to the next, one machine to the next , very little resy period, with heart rate staying pretty high the entire time- you can use the Circuit Training option in Cardio, adding minutes.