Trouble Breathing.

Options
So for the past two years of my life I have been EXTREMELY inactive, to where if I walked around my own house for more than 5 minutes that was good! So I've been going to the gym 4-6 days a week since late November and I have definitely come a long way since then. But I was watching the Biggest Loser last night and noticed how the trainers just put some of the people on the treadmill to jog! I was thinking to myself how can these people who haven't been working out for 2 months like me and weigh much more do that and I can't?! I honestly can't jog for more than a minute because I feel so OUT OF BREATH! I'm not sure if it's because I need to condition myself more or if I'm doing something wrong. Like I literally feel as though I am gasping for air. Oh and it's not that I burst out into a full on sprint or anything, I'm talking about building myself up then going for it and only lasting a minute before I can't anymore. I do have a bump on my nose that I was born with and I'm finally going to go to a doctor to get it checked out because I always feel kind of stuffy. I feel like it's holding me back and I can never just get enough oxygen in my body to push myself harder to jog. So does anyone have this issue or is it just that I need to gradually condition myself more?

Replies

• AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too, but I also have mild asthma. Check it out with your doctor, maybe he/she can get you on an inhaler.
  • jklunit16
    Options
    I would go to the doc too. Maybe it is something physical. Also try Couch to 5K. It is a program to work up to jogging for 30 minutes straight. AND IT REALLY WORKS!. I never thought I could do it either & I have ran a dozen or so 5 k's in the last 2 years and hope to build up to a 10 k for this spring. BTW I am 58 yrs old and never ran in my life till summer 2010. Good Luck
  • MissJackie88
    Options
    Yeah it seems the doctor may be my best bet. Sadly I won't be seeing him til March 1st. Hopefully I'll figure it out because it's very frustrating not feeling like I can get enough oxygen into my lungs to pump out a harder workout at times.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I would get a full physical - I actually try to schedule one annually around my birthday. If the doc says ok for you to work out, I would work on building endurance. (All the people on biggest loser have a full staff of doctors on hand to help them and have been thoroughly tested). Couch to 5K is a great suggestion and just fast walking to see how long you can go. When you feel comfortable add another 5 minutes and build your way up.