Food Addict. Help!?!?!?!

Options
Ok. I like food. No, I love food. I love the variety of tastes and textures and reach for food more often than I need to or should.

What do I do!? I tell myself I won't eat or drink this or that, but have NO self control. I am sick and tired of fighting these urges for food. Some days my self talk is stronger. Other days, I think, "Oh whatever. I'm already fat. If I lose, I'll just gain it back later. I always do." Some days I think, "It'd be fun to lose weight for my boyfriend, and show him what a fox I could be!". Then again, there are days that changes to, "He already is in love with me. He already says I'm beautiful. I don't have anything to prove. I don't have to change."

My blood pressure is going back up and I am well over a healthy weight. I know things need to change, but I love food! I love it. I want it. I don't want to give it up. Don't want to give up everything. I love healthy food, but I love junky food too. I have no self control.

Is there ANYone out there like this?! Anyone with advice? A kick in the bottom for me!?

I really feel powerless sometimes.

My love of food is literally the root of my weight issues.

Replies

• Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I get that way as well, at times. Especially, over this past holiday season. I crave pumpkin pie and eggnog. What helps me, is reading my fitness magazines (Fitness, Shape, Oxygen and First). Sugar is a #1 thing that should be taken off your list. It consist of "bad fat". You cannot burn "bad fat" fast.
    I want to look "sexy" for my fiance as well. But, if you are wanting to lose the weight...you need to do it for YOURSELF, not only for your man. And that little girl that is on your profile picture....would be another inspiration to set your goal to lose weight. Be a good example for her...and show others that you have the power AND control to do this!
    I have no room to talk, I was in the same situation as you are. Don't get discouraged. We are all here for a reason. To live a healthy happy life, and to live longer. The hardest part of getting back to a healthy lifestyle, is starting it. Take baby steps. Go for short walks when you're hungry. Stay away from fast food places if possible.
    Good luck to you~
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Do you like to cook, or are there flavors you like, or are you willing to try new foods? You can love food, and not be afraid of it. There is plenty of healthy, flavorful foods to enjoy out there. Look at the recipes people offer on this site, or at some of the recipes online, or in a recipe book. I really do understand what you mean, and as I type this I'm watching The Biggest Loser where they explain cravings that people get and how fat people react differently than thin people. I read in a book somewhere that if you tend to overeat, try waiting for 7 minutes-do a different activity (except watching T.V.). But overall, you have to be strong, they say it takes what like 100 times to make something a habit. You have to just tell yourself No.

According to these Drs. on Biggest Loser you can rewire your brain to like a healthy diet from weeks to months. So just stick it out. It seems like a lot of people feel as though losing weight means being afraid to eat, and it doesn't, it means making healthier food choice and becoming more active. I would love to be thin and look good, but more and more I want to be toned and muscular. I still eat plenty of food, and I've been working out regularly since August, but it still gets hard to do at times and there always excuses. People can tell you to do it, but you have to want it.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    You can do this... :-)
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, girl!! I feel like food addiction is the root of my problem, too. I just LOVE EATING and was in the habit of eating constantly.

It's been really hard to stop eating constantly. The good thing is that while I'm at work, I can't overeat for no reason, haha. I'm busy teaching and whatnot but when I get home I have to REALLy watch myself.

Anyway, i just keep reminding myself CONSTANTLY of what I want.. the goals I wanna reach and why. I have images and whatnot reminding me of myr eason sto lose weight.. and I dont buy any junk food.

When the urge to overeat gets unbearable, I just.. got bed. Sounds crazy but my cravings are worst at night so I just go lay down instea dof eat, haha!!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you seriously want to lose weight and hate being fat your resolve will become stronger. I knew when I started dieting the last time that this was going to be for real. I love food and used to give in to my cravings all the time these days I take myself off to bed early with a book if I feel like I am going to have a snack attack and I will put my coat on and go out for a long walk. You can do it honest. You must not surround yourself with things that are going to tempt you. It makes life alot easier.

I wish you loads of luck x
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the junk food. If, I know I'l eat it. The self control thing, again. And I LOVE healthy foods. In fact, I prefer them. But you can overeat on the healthy foods and rack up the calories too.

I'm trying to pay more attention to what my STOMACH is telling me, rather than following my cravings. Like when I start to feel full, quit. And when I'm hankering for something, am I REALLY hungry, or just feeling snacky? But it's really tough.

I work nights, nursing. There's candy there for the taking, etc... I bring my own foods. But I still give in sometimes. Like this morning before I left for home, my co-worker that was to come in and relieve me was going to be late, so I toasted an english muffin to eat while I waited. :-/

Self control is the huge issue for me. If it tastes good, I don't want to stop eating. Yes, I want to do this for ME. Not for anyone else. But some days, I look at the food and think, it's just too much work, who cares, I am what I am. I can't seem to stay focused on the reality of my aging (I don't burn calories like I used to!), my health (my blood pressure sucks, again), etc...

This is HARD work. And, frankly, I sometimes feel so angry that it takes so MUCH work to accomplish so little.
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the junk food. If, I know I'l eat it. The self control thing, again. And I LOVE healthy foods. In fact, I prefer them. But you can overeat on the healthy foods and rack up the calories too.

I'm trying to pay more attention to what my STOMACH is telling me, rather than following my cravings. Like when I start to feel full, quit. And when I'm hankering for something, am I REALLY hungry, or just feeling snacky? But it's really tough.

I work nights, nursing. There's candy there for the taking, etc... I bring my own foods. But I still give in sometimes. Like this morning before I left for home, my co-worker that was to come in and relieve me was going to be late, so I toasted an english muffin to eat while I waited. :-/

Self control is the huge issue for me. If it tastes good, I don't want to stop eating. Yes, I want to do this for ME. Not for anyone else. But some days, I look at the food and think, it's just too much work, who cares, I am what I am. I can't seem to stay focused on the reality of my aging (I don't burn calories like I used to!), my health (my blood pressure sucks, again), etc...

This is HARD work. And, frankly, I sometimes feel so angry that it takes so MUCH work to accomplish so little.