This is me...

Options
I thought to introduce myself I would tell you ten things about me....david lettermen style (well, not as funny)

10. I was born and raised on a dairy farm in Idaho.
9. I have not missed a home football game for my almemater since 1997. (~85 games in a row)
8. I am still married even after accomplishing #9
7. I am currently getting a masters degree in mental health
6. I work for a software company
5. I am registered for my first triathlon...well first anything for that matter
4. I lost 50 pounds from 2007-2008 and have slowly let it creep back
3. I love sports particularly basketball and flag football.
2. People think I am grumpy when I work out or play a sport because I tend to really focus in on what I am doing
1. Love spending time with my wife and 3 kids.

Replies

• coolchick03270
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am fairly new here also (I joined a few days ago)...and I also have 3 kids- all boys. Their ages are 15, 12, and soon to be 11. All three play flag football. I have eaten healthy for a very long time. Exercise is what I usually hate to do. LOL.
    I hope you find much encouragement from all of us here. You are welcome to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • garn1232
    Options
    Thanks cool chick!!
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your post cracked me up!

Here is me:
    10. Born and raised in Massachusetts
    9. Married 26 years to a great guy
    8. 3 big kids, 23, 21, and 17
    7. Work in the pupil transportation field ( that would be school bus industry!)
    6. Was at my heaviest when pregnant with my son - I started refusing to get on the scale at the dr. when it hit 200 (I measured more inches around my middle than vertically!)
    5. Have always liked to be active, but also LOVE food
    4. Did a triathlon at 30 years old with my sister
    3. Joined MFP last March because my sister said it was awesome (she was right!)
    2. There are at least 6 people on MFP now because I got them hooked!
    1. Currently trying to shed about 6 lbs - but they like me so they are sticking around!

Sending you a friend request! Where is the triathlon you are going to try out?

April
  • mjvanommeren
    mjvanommeren Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. There are a lot of great tools here and great people for support. Good luck in the triathalon training... let me know how it's going.

MJ
  • garn1232
    Options
    The triathlon is in Idaho.
  • garn1232
    Options
    Hi! Your post cracked me up!

Here is me:
    10. Born and raised in Massachusetts
    9. Married 26 years to a great guy
    8. 3 big kids, 23, 21, and 17
    7. Work in the pupil transportation field ( that would be school bus industry!)
    6. Was at my heaviest when pregnant with my son - I started refusing to get on the scale at the dr. when it hit 200 (I measured more inches around my middle than vertically!)
    5. Have always liked to be active, but also LOVE food
    4. Did a triathlon at 30 years old with my sister
    3. Joined MFP last March because my sister said it was awesome (she was right!)
    2. There are at least 6 people on MFP now because I got them hooked!
    1. Currently trying to shed about 6 lbs - but they like me so they are sticking around!

Sending you a friend request! Where is the triathlon you are going to try out?

April

Awesome List!! Is the tri going to kill me?
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    Welcome!
    Hubby and I have four kids- 6, 4, 4, and 2.
    Crazy life. He's a college football coach- we're newly Gophers at the U of Minnesota.
    I too get very focused and serious when I work out. Got to BRING IT!!

Good luck.

Feel free to add me for support, Y'all!
  • garn1232
    Options
    Welcome!
    Hubby and I have four kids- 6, 4, 4, and 2.
    Crazy life. He's a college football coach- we're newly Gophers at the U of Minnesota.
    I too get very focused and serious when I work out. Got to BRING IT!!

Good luck.

Feel free to add me for support, Y'all!

The life of a nomad. Would love to hear more about your experience as a coaches wife. What media and internet have done to college sports has to make your husbands life STRESSFUL!
  • BeyondApril
    Options
    LOL, no, it will make you STRONGER!

A book I highly recommend is "Triathlon Training for Dummies" - gives you some great training tips!

My sister and I did a "sprint" triathlon, women only. It was 3/4 mile swim (she found this the hardest part), 12 mile bike (I had trouble with this one), then 3.5 mile run (we jogged). Our goal was to finish, which we did, and it was a lot of fun and gave us some great motivation!

What are the distances for your race? Do you know anyone else who is doing it?
  • garn1232
    Options
    hey, we just met and already you go to the Dummy card...;) KIDDING.

It is an olympic tri. It is the end of July. The swim is in a river so I can just float if I need to ;) No one I know is signed up yet.
  • BeyondApril
    Options
    Haha - big fan of the Dummy books! (They should just say for REGULAR people!)

Olympic - sounds long! I would try to find a training partner, helps keep you on track.
  • garn1232
    Options
    Haha - big fan of the Dummy books! (They should just say for REGULAR people!)

Olympic - sounds long! I would try to find a training partner, helps keep you on track.

Ok, we can call it Oly for short.
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    The life of a nomad. Would love to hear more about your experience as a coaches wife. What media and internet have done to college sports has to make your husbands life STRESSFUL!

-Yes, it has been a lot of moving. We've lived in MI (where we're from), KS, So. IL an No. IL before MN. LOVE it here. Best place we've lived. Just need to get this thing turned around. The hardest part of being a coach's wife for me is listening to the idiot fans who know nothing about football, especially when they get nasty or attack the players or coaches personally. I'm like a mamma bear protecting her cub when those people get going.
    I try not to read the crap that is written, but it's hard.

The other is the fans who are all down on us now, expecting some miraculous turn-around in a season. I'll be standing at the gates of the bandwagon in a few years when they're all trying to jump on, throwing their *kitten* back off!

;)

Other than that, it's a FUN life. Our kids love it. They're die-hard Gopher fans, instantly. And this life is all we know ;)

So, is Idaho your Alma mater? The Vandals? We played at Boise St. two years ago (when we were Huskies) on the blue turf in the bowl game. Had fun at a tubing hill.
  • garn1232
    Options

-Yes, it has been a lot of moving. We've lived in MI (where we're from), KS, So. IL an No. IL before MN. LOVE it here. Best place we've lived. Just need to get this thing turned around. The hardest part of being a coach's wife for me is listening to the idiot fans who know nothing about football, especially when they get nasty or attack the players or coaches personally. I'm like a mamma bear protecting her cub when those people get going.
    I try not to read the crap that is written, but it's hard.

The other is the fans who are all down on us now, expecting some miraculous turn-around in a season. I'll be standing at the gates of the bandwagon in a few years when they're all trying to jump on, throwing their *kitten* back off!

;)

Other than that, it's a FUN life. Our kids love it. They're die-hard Gopher fans, instantly. And this life is all we know ;)

So, is Idaho your Alma mater? The Vandals? We played at Boise St. two years ago (when we were Huskies) on the blue turf in the bowl game. Had fun at a tubing hill.

Watch out! You have found a nerve with me. People laugh when I tell them I request the last row for season tickets. It isn't a huge stadium like you are used to in the Big 10, just 65k so the seats are still great. The reason for the back row? I was getting in too many fights with our own fan base. I am there to enjoy these kids play their hardest. The straw that broke the camels back was a game where our QB was 13/13. He threw an errant throw that went incomplete. The guy behind me stands up and yells "What are you thinking our moron". GRRR!!!

Ok deep breathes. I now live in utah. BYU is my alma mater. Go Cougs!!!
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    I like this whole numbered introduction!

10. Hate to run but I love what it does for me.
    9. Smoked socially for the last eight years or so but gave it up on New Years. I'm 35 and smoking is no longer cool!
    8. Signed up for my first mini-marathon. April 28.
    7. Raised in the country in Oldham County, Kentucky nad proud of it.
    6. Yes, Oaks day and The Derby are awesome....cocktails, gambling people dressed in thier finiest. :)
    5. Absolutely love the outdoors during the mild seasons of fall and spring.....maybe some summer but Kentucky humidity sucks!
    4. Married for 14 years to my husband, Jon....and I STILL think he is smokin' hot!
    3. Two furbabies - Amos and Milo.
    2. No children yet, but we are working on it.
    1. I want to do all I can to be happy and healthy!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!!!!

10. Born and raised in California moved to Denver in 1984
    9. I REALLY want to go on Survivor!!!!
    8. Mother of 2 beautiful intelligent college students. (Girls)
    7. Just passed my 1 yr anniversary on MFP
    6. I have a love/hate relationship with working out!
    5. I have a love/hate relationship with Pizza, Ice Cream and Marie Callendar Pot Pies. LOL
    4. I love to play the horses
    3. The love of my life is 120 pound Rotti/Wolfhound Mix named Lucky Charms
    2. The other love of my life refuses to workout with me! (Boyfriend)
    1. I'm determined to reach my goals no matter how many set backs I have!!!!

Welcome to MFP!!!!!
  • garn1232
    Options
    thanks Hummzz
  • garn1232
    Options
    bump

I would like to get to know ten things about more of you ;)
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    hi I liked your introduction. I have post grad in mental health and the work can be very stressful, hence the weight gain ( any excuse lol) good luck
  • clindstrom520
    clindstrom520 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is a really neat idea!!!

10. I have lived in 2 different states in the last 5 years.....my hubby is in the US Coast Guard and we just transferred from VA to RI back in June 2011.
    9. I was born in Wurzberg, Germany......my dad was in the Army =)
    8. I have two furbabies (both chihuahuas) named Lily Bell and Jimmy Dean.
    7. I love photography and hope to make a little extra money selling my own prints one day.
    6. My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th year wedding anniversary on March 9th
    5. No children yet but we have been working on it for over 2 years now.
    4. I love animals and have been working with them for the past 5 years (animal hospital in VA and animal shelter here in RI).
    3. I love to read!
    2. I am a total gamer chick! Nintendo and Xbox all the way!!!
    1. I want to learn how to base jump from something really, really tall one day!

P.S. Feel free to add me =)