What on earth is happening to me?

Options
I kept glancing over at his food waiting for the feeling of jealousy to come over me, waiting for me to wish that I had what he had, waiting to feel deprived, but it didn’t happen. My boyfriend was eating Chinese stir-fried rice, fried chicken drumsticks, and Pepsi (some of my favorites). I was eating mixed stir-fried vegetables with a glass of water (no rice, no meat, just veg and water). And, 100% honestly, I didn’t feel deprived or jealous in any way. I was actually really happy with my vegetables and water and didn't care that he was eating what I (used to?) love.

That was last night, and I though it was a fluke. But this morning - I ate only half my breakfast; I wasn't hungry anymore after only HALF of my meal and I had absolutely no interest in finishing it. It just didn't appeal to me after I was full and didn’t even occur to me to finish it. That's like...HUGE for me. In the past I would: 1) almost never be full without eating the entire portion 2) finish it anyway, even if I was full because it was yummy.

And now it’s in the afternoon here and I’ve not eaten lunch. I have no desire to eat anything right now because I’m still not hungry, so I’m just going to skip lunch. Usually I would be very hungry by now. Usually I would NEVER skip lunch.

I'm not sure what's happening to me, but for the first time I feel like what I imagine life is like as a thin person. I was born HUGE and have been obese every single day of my entire life, weighing as much as a full grown woman at age 7, weighing 250 lbs in middle school, and 300 lbs by the time I was in high school. I’ve struggle with over eating every single day for as long as I can remember. But now I feel like my brain and stomach has been replaced with the mind and stomach of a skinny person. I feel like I'm on the edge of something outstanding and I pray that it lasts.

I don't want to go back to the way I usually feel and think about food. This is so new for me, this has only been going on for TWO DAYS, but I'm so excited and happy with my way of thinking and feeling right now, this has never happened. All my life I’ve struggled with food. Even just thinking about food would make me hungry. But something’s changed, I’ve been getting full fairly quickly and then I have no more interested in food at that point, and I don’t think about food until I’m actually hungry again, hours later. This is a very new thing for me, and I’m scared to death that I'll go back to the old me. Oh, God, please let this last! I can't describe how this feels. I feel like a different person; a person who has never had to struggle with her weight and with food a day in her life. I feel like a naturally thin person.

Will this last? Is this how I am now? Now do I have a thin person’s way of thinking about food and will I be able to just wait until my body catches up with my new (and hopefully permanent) skinny brain?

Has this happened to any of you?? I feel like I want some answers as to why this has happened. I’m really scared of losing this.

Replies

• Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's low carb for you! Isn't it great? Be careful to keep getting enough calories though, even though you're not hungry - add good fats to your salads and eat nuts and seeds. And great going!
  • Tkwild
    Options
    BTW this is why I struggle to make my calorie goals, especially when I exercise and my appetite drops even lower! It really is like a diet super-power.
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "I kept glancing over at his food waiting for the feeling of jealousy to come over me, waiting for me to wish that I had what he had, waiting to feel deprived, but it didn’t happen. My boyfriend was eating Chinese stir-fried rice, fried chicken drumsticks, and Pepsi (some of my favorites). I was eating mixed stir-fried vegetables with a glass of water (no rice, no meat, just veg and water). And, 100% honestly, I didn’t feel deprived or jealous in any way."

-

This is because you were probably eating very regularly throughout the day with your meals. It stabilizes blood sugar levels in the body (A common reason for urges and cravings) and glycogen stores are probably satisfied too. If you didn't eat close towards the meal that he was eating and were not eating at the same time, your blood sugar levels could possibly crash and you would've started to crave the foods he was eating.

Hope this helped :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    BTW this is why I struggle to make my calorie goals, especially when I exercise and my appetite drops even lower! It really is like a diet super-power.

Wow! So this is something that is lasting for you? Oh gosh, I hope this lasts FOREVER! lol It feel so ..normal. lol
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    I still eat carbs and meat, but I understand what you are saying. I barely can finish my little plate of food and have no desire for more, while the husband complains that the double portion (or more) of his large plate wasn't enough (he has a great metabolism and has been "too skinny" most of his life...now is only 20 lbs overweight).
    It's liberating isn't it?
  • Tkwild
    Options
    It is normal for me, and it's great cos it means I'm never really tempted to overeat or eat bad foods!

However it means that my body doesn't trust me to feed it after being so low-cal for so long, and so it's really easy to gain weight and really hard to lose it. Just pick a reasonable cals goal and aim to hit it rather than to be under it and you should be all good :)
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I still eat carbs and meat, but I understand what you are saying. I barely can finish my little plate of food and have no desire for more, while the husband complains that the double portion (or more) of his large plate wasn't enough (he has a great metabolism and has been "too skinny" most of his life...now is only 20 lbs overweight).

YES! It's SO liberating!! I hope that this lasts the rest of my life! It's like, I never really understood the full extent of my struggle with food, until suddenly I don't have it anymore. Like some switch was flipped in my body. I just physically do not feel as hungry as I usually do and then don't have interest in food when I'm not physically hungry. That was never how my body reacted. I was hungry most of the time and then when I ate and was no longer hungry I would usually finish what I was eating because it tasted good. That was normal for me. I didn't realize how bad it effected me until it was gone.

I guess it has something to do with my new vegetarian low carb diet. I mean, that's the only thing that's really changed that I can tell. I just can't believe that such a fast and drastic internal and physical change can come from just changing what you eat. It's ...incredible!
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    It is normal for me, and it's great cos it means I'm never really tempted to overeat or eat bad foods!

However it means that my body doesn't trust me to feed it after being so low-cal for so long, and so it's really easy to gain weight and really hard to lose it. Just pick a reasonable cals goal and aim to hit it rather than to be under it and you should be all good :)

I know how you mean about not being tempted. There is a yummy coconut bun in the kitchen. I'm not even tempted to get it. lol That's like a first! I usually can't keep stuff like that in the house because I would be tempted by it, but now I'm not tempted. It feels AWESOME!

I'll take your advice and try to stick to my calorie goals. I had trouble going over 1200 last night, but want to try and stick as close to what the site recommends (1800) as I can.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I still eat meat, but as long as I keep my carbs down and stick to healthy fats, I have zero desire to eat crap. Carbs drive this crazy dopamine release in your brain (read: addiction mechanism), and being obese (especially when you're taking a lot of simple carbs on board) messes with your body's normal satiety feedback loop. You know, the thing that tells you to stop eating when you're full. True fact: dark chocolate triggers the satiety mechanism. Milk chocolate does not; too much sugar!

So as long as you stick to a low-carb lifestyle, your cravings and addictive behaviors about food will probably stay under control. :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    That is really great. I hope this is the way it will be for you from now on. I definitely find these days that if my body doesn't want something, I can't force myself to eat it. I often feel really sick if I try to eat pasta or bread, and usually only end up eating half my breakfast.

Good luck!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you! I only wish I could have the same feelings!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Stacy I have to say I am envious. Only because I could never do the vegetarian thing. The only veggies I like are green beans, lettuce, tomatoes occasionaly, pickles (if you count them as a veggie!) and corn. I've hated veggies since I was a little kid, it took me forever to open up to lettuce, tomatoes and green beans. I just can't bring myself to do it!

But I am noticing I'm not craving a lot of things I used to eat as much myself. I still eat meat, fruits, veggies and nuts but I don't crave ice cream everyday and it has gotten so much easier. Occasionally I still eat pasta or something with cheese but I'm trying to stay completely away from that stuff.

I'm so glad you are feeling this way and I hope it sticks too! I've always thought about food constantly and it is really an annoyance in my life. Seems to be getting easier now that I changed what I eat drastically.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    and don't forget good fats! your body needs that!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
    When I am around others eating junk, I crave it, then eat it.

This is why I give myself a weekly "free day" and monthly binge day.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :smile:

What's a coconut bun? I think I'm missing out on something.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. I would finish everything on my plate even though I was full. Now, I'm able to push it away if I'm full before finishing everything. What it's made me do is put smaller portions on my plate. It's a great feeling. Congratulations! Keep it up!
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    Congrats on getting through such a hard phase! I wish I was able to say I was in the same spot as you! That's very exciting! Sweets are my weakness, I'm just trying to figure out how to make them with better ingredients lol.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options

i notice that too! whenever I work out a lot, I'm less hungry....which is frustrating because I don't want to under-do my caloric intake. Especially because I'm trying to gain muscle mass.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options

My big "Aha" moment was when I moved from regular dinner plates to small salad plates for all of my in-home meals. I used to honestly believe I couldn't get full from just that, but now I do! I still eat everything (well, with the exception of fried foods, junk foods and salty snacks), but just in MUCH smaller portions. Heck, I now even know what an actual portion IS ... I used to think eating portions was until I felt full or the bag of 'whatever' was gone.
  • melantie
    Options
    I used to eat things because i didnt want to miss out, or waste it, or because it just tasted good.

NOW though i think its because i have limited my portion sizes i feel the same way as you. Even when i have fallen off the weight loss wagon, i still tend to NOT overeat, simply because i CANT! your right a switch changes.

Last night looking at my husbands dinner (same as mine but more) i was thinking, how the hell can you even eat that! Like i would probably explode and a year ago i was eating the exact same amount.

I still get the odd , grrrr at my husband, but that is because he is a pig lol, i just dont get all cut up about it and eat for the sake of making sure I get to eat something that is nice. I dont want to be this fat anymore, its bad for my health, for my life and i am not a good role model for my kids (its not fair me eating stuff and then telling them no!)